Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My new toy
robertst

posted on 11/3/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
My new toy

Thought it was time to get one of these. i'm amazed how precise it is! you can hold it like a pencil, yet it will happily and swiftly cut 3mm plate and probably more.

it makes using the angle grinder like using an axe to cut paper

it will come in very handy when doing the bodywork.

[Edited on 11/3/07 by robertst]

[Edited on 11/3/07 by robertst] Rescued attachment dremel.jpg
Rescued attachment dremel.jpg

Tom

Pants On Fire

posted on 11/3/07 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Had mine 6 months or so, this weekend I sharpened 3 chisels, the lawn mower blades, 2 secatares, lawn shears and an axe wooooo sparks
David Jenkins

posted on 11/3/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have an earlier mains-powered Dremel - very useful, but the cost of tooling is eye-watering... well worth shopping around (including ebay) as B&Q prices are ridiculous (twice as much).

David

blueshift

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cheapo copy mini drill thingy. I find it pretty useless; the carbide burrs tend to disintegrate, the cutting discs wear away faster than what I'm cutting, the sanding rolls lose all their abrasive before doing anything useful..

if I was working in plastic or wood it might be more use, ally even, but for steel it seems very limited.

robertst

posted on 11/3/07 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
I have a cheapo copy mini drill thingy. I find it pretty useless; the carbide burrs tend to disintegrate, the cutting discs wear away faster than what I'm cutting, the sanding rolls lose all their abrasive before doing anything useful..

if I was working in plastic or wood it might be more use, ally even, but for steel it seems very limited.

i guess the components must be expensive if they are to last a reasonable amount of time.
its just like drilling tips: you buy them cheap, and they last you about two holes before becoming blunt. same thing with cheap angle grinders, drills, virtually anything running on electricity or friction. i learnt this the hard way. never buying cheap tools again.

Tom

Catpuss

posted on 12/3/07 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have the B & Q copies (about 5 over time including returns).

The geniune Dremmel is way way better. It you can run it for 5 mins on full speed and not have to worry about it not working the next day, or if you tighten up he collet the casing doesn't try to flex open.

The geniune Dremmels are a lot smoother operating too, less rumbling (probably better balanced motors e.t.c.).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.