Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap tools Dangerous occurrance
caber

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap tools Dangerous occurrance

I bought a cheap angle grinder from Makro, Budget branded and today while using a radial wire brush it snagged and the side handle broke off . The grinder ripped through my shirt and gave my stomach light dermabrasion before i got it under control! Teach me to buy cheap tools!

Caber

nib1980

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
just remeber where theres blame theres a claim!
russbost

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Those radial wire brushes are lethal - dead good but lethal!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
craig1410

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to go to Makro and kick up hell as that could have been a lot worse if you'd been using a cutting disc. The very least they owe you is a full refund for the grinder, a new shirt and some damages (eg. a voucher to spend in Makro for at least £100) Oh and you might need a new pair of underpants as well...

Just go in and ask to speak to the manager and explain what has happened. Say that you are considering taking the matter further on advice of friends and family but would like to give Makro the chance to put things right first. If he is smart he will offer some sort of compensation and may require you to sign a letter to say you are satisfied that the issue is closed in return.

Don't be a typical Brit and let it go!
Cheers,
Craig.

ps. Glad it wasn't too serious but I'll bet you got a fright!

Peteff

posted on 31/7/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Were you wearing gloves, goggles and overalls while using this tool, did you fit the handle yourself, did the grinder instuction say suitable for use with the brush? I broke the handle on a cheap grinder whilst fitting it by hand tightening it too tight. I made a metal one to replace it and then found I could clamp it in the vice and use it as a mounted tool with a sanding disk fitted, like a face grinder. Get photos of any damage if you are thinking of pursuing it and don't complain when the prices all go up to cover any more claims they may receive.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

3GEComponents

posted on 31/7/06 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's nothing to do with the thread, but read this morning about a guy in the states who used a cordless drill to scratch an itch on the inside of his nose!!!?!

Obviously suing his boss and the drill manufacturer as they both neglected to inform him that you should do it!

Joey!!

Confused but excited.

posted on 31/7/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
He should have used a longer bit !

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SALAD

posted on 31/7/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Don't wear tops with tassles hanging down either (Hoodies etc) as a friend of mine, using a wire wheel in a drill, got a tassle caught round the drill, pulling the wheel up into his chin and through his lip. He had to put it in reverse to unwind it out of his face!! Big ouch!
He was shaking a little afterwards

rusty nuts

posted on 31/7/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Years ago a mate of mine was using a big masonary drill and having long hair the obvious happened . Painful lesson that could have been a lot worse
Confused but excited.

posted on 31/7/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
To get back to the grinders;
I bought a cheap nasty Chinese 4" angle grinder, some ten years ago for £12, because some towrag nicked my Makita.
Since then it has been used on metal and concrete, generally abused and I even used it as a chock to stop a van rolling down hill. Still going strong.
What's that saying about blaming tools?

DarrenW

posted on 1/8/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Defo take it back to Makro. Might be best to not mention the wire brush though.

Iused to work for B&D. In the states they had to put a note in the book to warn people not to use heat guns as hair dryers following a legal battle!!!!!!! Heat guns burn paint off windows etc at 1200deg - bloody crazy.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/8/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you look at the barrel of a Ruger revolver you will see a long paragraph of text stamped into its side - a rough summary is "Guns are dangerous and should not be pointed at people".

Oh really? I thought they were just harmless lumps of metal...

David

iank

posted on 1/8/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jroberts
I know it's nothing to do with the thread, but read this morning about a guy in the states who used a cordless drill to scratch an itch on the inside of his nose!!!?!

Obviously suing his boss and the drill manufacturer as they both neglected to inform him that you should do it!

Joey!!

Urban legend alert
This one in fact http://www.snopes.com/photos/drillman.asp

caber

posted on 2/8/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
This Handle won't break Rescued attachment Photo_080206_001.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo_080206_001.jpg

gazza285

posted on 2/8/06 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Nice transparent guard too I see. Or rather I don't.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/8/06 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
The guard is removable.

It's also replacable. I always remove mine when I use a flexible backing pad and fibre disks but it goes back on for cutting and grinding.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Fred W B

posted on 3/8/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
These grinders are so cheap I keep 4 under the bench, fitted with cutting disc/grinding stone/flexback sanding disc/ wire brush respectively. Saves time and hassle, particularly if you have a multiplug under there so that can all stay plugged in.

cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 3/8/06 by Fred W B]

gazza285

posted on 3/8/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
So much for my attempt at irony then.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 3/8/06 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Irony belongs in the laundry section of the forum, not the tool section.

caber

posted on 3/8/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
handle was made of scrap irony

Caber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.