Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weld
drmike54

posted on 2/5/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Weld

Here is my very first MIG weld Although it looks like hell it sure was fun.
How the heck do you see what you are doing while you are welding? As you can see I can't even run a decent straight line yet!

Now I guess it is time to read various welding directions that I have downloaded and buy someone who knows how to weld a case of brew. Rescued attachment welding_1.JPG
Rescued attachment welding_1.JPG

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 2/5/05 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
A decent mask with the right filters makes the job easier...especially if it's an auto-darkening jobbie

quote:
Originally posted by drmike54
Here is my very first MIG weld Although it looks like hell it sure was fun.
How the heck do you see what you are doing while you are welding? As you can see I can't even run a decent straight line yet!

Now I guess it is time to read various welding directions that I have downloaded and buy someone who knows how to weld a case of brew.

dmottaway

posted on 3/5/05 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
my first MIG weld was a total disaster!

My lens was not an auto-dark and I suppose I didn't hear the instructions about putting the wire against the metal THEN pull the trigger.

I would pull the trigger but nothing would happen. I'm in the dark, of course, and eventually the wire would come out far enough to contact the metal. big flash!

was a series of spark, curse, spark, curse. eventually gave up.

I'm working with TIG now. seems so much easier.

AND, I have an autodarkening mask.

Someday, perhaps, I'll try MIG again.

dave

[Edited on 3/5/05 by dmottaway]

drmike54

posted on 3/5/05 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
Got the AutoDarkenig mask that is one amazing piece of hardware. Going to read some stuff i downloaded on MIG tonight maybe I can try some more Wednesday. Is MDF heat resistant? The skid that I was working on kept catching on fire. I can see why a welding table is just a big piece of steel.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
looks to me like you are holding the torch with one hand?

Always use two hands on the torch, one holding it and pulling the trigger and the other one steadying the shroud end.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
If you've got a new mask, and don't want to buy an auto-darkening mask just yet (they are excellent though!), go to a welding shop and get a couple of filters a shade or two lighter. I think the mask makers tend to be over-cautious and provide one that's too dark, just in case.
Another help is to chalk a line on each side of the intended weld, about 1cm away. This helps to give a reference.
Finally, shine a very bright light on the work - I use a 500W worklight - which helps to reduce the contrast between the bright arc and the dark metal.
It's worth reading even a basic book on welding - there's stuff like the correct way of tacking up work to reduce distortion, the correct angles for holding the torch for different jobs, etc. Even better, if you know a friendly welder ask him to give you an hour or two of his time - you won't believe how much difference this will make. I did a couple of 1-day Saturday courses at my local agricultural college, which was a big help.
Finally, keep practicing on scrap until it looks pretty, then start working towards making STRONG and pretty welds - beat the work with a hammer until it's bent double, hacksaw across welds to see how good they are, and all that sort of stuff. Be very self-critical.
Oh - one final thing - it is very rewarding when you finally lay down a perfect weld!

David

flak monkey

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Get your head close to where the weld torch is on the metal. And watch the molten metal pool form, you should be able to see it easily when you are close enough. Its no good being half a metre or more away. (Just make sure you are wearing something that will stop sparks going down your neck!). Support the torch with one hand, and pull the trigger with the other. (Make sure you are wearing food leather gloves) Dont try and weld more than 100mm at a time until you get good. Keep a steady speed and the torch a constant distance from the work.

That about it apart what whats already been said. You say you have an auto helmet, so you shouldnt have trouble seeing where to start the weld.

David

[Edited on 3/5/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DaveFJ

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
I just bought myself a simple mask from machine mart. It is not auto darkening but did come with a 9ew kens which a little easier to see through and it only cost me £15

Up until now i have been trying to use the hand held jobby that came with my welder - absolutely hopeless! first time out with the new mask and an acceptable (i won't say brilliant!) weld. It is so much easier with both hands free and if you get the mask balanced right you can lift it up, postion the torch with both hands and then a quick nod brings the mask down before you start to weld.

Not as good as an auto darkening mask but a damn sight cheaper!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

JamJah

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I got my autodarkning from ebay. £30 flown from the states. Took bout a week. Not sure if they still are on ebay, but conform to the right bits. Battery and Solar powered. Id say got battery and keep a spare, unless its used most days.

Edit because it was discredited.

[Edited on 3/5/05 by JamJah]

Nisseven

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I can,t believe that most of you guys are prepared to buy a welder a helmet and proceed to weld the chassis of a vehicle that, not only is going to impact on your own lives, but also upon some other poor unfotunate soul, should it fail.
I am a profesional welder and while mig welding looks very easy I implore you to go to professionally run courses at polytechs or what have you. If we have them in NZ then you must have them in your own countries. Ours are often subsidised by the Gov't and honestly you will not realise how much you don't know until you learn it properly. An auto helmet will not make you a better welder unless you learn how to use it.
Any wonder the authorities around the world are insisting on certain standards when people insist upon self learning such an important skill.

Bruce

Nisseven

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've just reread jamjar's post and what a lot of rubbish.
Telling people to weld as you say is irresponsible and could result in serious cold lap and no penetration if I understand correctly your method. Even if I have it wrong, this method is incorrect.
Again learn properly from someone who does know what he is doing.

Bruce

DaveFJ

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe i should clarify a little - I would not personally weld anything 'critical' ie the main chassis or the wishbones because I don't trust my own welding and have therefore bought those items. However i feel happy about the numerous other little jobs that crop up that aren't quite so critical like attaching minor brackets etc. I agree that if you are going to go the full locost route and build from scratch then it is worthwhile getting some advice and training. That said I was shown how by my brother who is a registered welder and his welding is crap !

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

clbarclay

posted on 3/5/05 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
As nisseven says, being taught to weld by a college is a very good idea. That said, having spent 2 years at college where welding was part of the course, the tuition can be very variable. I lernt more from the couple of lessons when another lecturer was standing in for the normal one.

donny

posted on 3/5/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Do the job right

Hi lads,
I have been wanting to build a car for over a year now...just haven't got a donor or garage - they are in the plan. However the first thing I did was enroll in Telford College on a Basic Mig Welding Course. £68 for 12 weeks. I've just got my SVQ. Chuffed! I agree with the professional welders, get trained. You need to know that your welds will be solid!

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/05 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
On the other hand......................I have never been on a welding course but have been asked numerous times whether I am a professional welder.

I have bought a couple of very informative books, and worked as a fabricator for a while having welded some test pieces for "boss's approval" (prototype workshop, not production stuff)

JamJah's post is indeed total rubbish and totally unsafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I believe in the idea of self sufficiency and not living in a "nanny state". If one is confident in one's abilities, then ahead, if not then don't.

SVA is there to check for dangerous items, leave the rest to the person building the car.

Our lives are already regulated enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming up to an election, for goodness' sake we are already "governed" enough under Tony "nanny-state" Blair.

NS Dev

posted on 3/5/05 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
As nisseven says, being taught to weld by a college is a very good idea. That said, having spent 2 years at college where welding was part of the course, the tuition can be very variable. I lernt more from the couple of lessons when another lecturer was standing in for the normal one.

which college, out of interest. Was it agric college, if so, was it Harper Adams? I did my degree (Agricultural Engineering) there, and the job where I was fabricating was in the prototype workshop at Vicon ltd when they were in Market Drayton in Shrops.

britishtrident

posted on 3/5/05 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good welders like good painters are born not made, giving a natural welder good training only reduces the time it takes for them to develop inborn talent and gives them enough knowledge of the properies of metals not to make potentially lethal mistakes.

I am not a natural welder and never shall be but I can on occasion do a decent weld --- on the many occaisions I do a weld i am not happy with I cut and grind it all out.

I have just done 4 almost perfect welds and 4 horrible ones which apart from my obvious lack of skill were caused by the toy town wire feed motor in my Sip welder playing up --- an hour wasted tinkering with the welder and I ran off another couple of decent welds.

posted on 3/5/05 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
This forum would not have been created if only pro welders took on the job of building their own car.
Nisseven is probably right but will he hire a pro mechanic to do his breaks-hire an engineer for the suspension steering etc..
not to speak about the electric stuff or is this OK when done by the amateur when your chassis is welded by a proffessional welder?

gazza285

posted on 3/5/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
It has to be said that some of the welding I have seen on this site does make me cringe (along with some of the advice as well), but things like brake fitting and bleeding is acomplished by following simple instructions which should be well known by anybody who has been paying attention. Welding can not be done by following the same criterior as it is a process that needs to be learned and understood. The materials used are generally of thin wall construction and need to be welded correctly as structural failure can and often is disasterous. If you are not in any way sure please seek more professional advice.

And remember just because it looks pretty does not mean it is a good weld.

[Edited on 3/5/05 by gazza285]

clbarclay

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

which college, out of interest. Was it agric college, if so, was it Harper Adams? I did my degree (Agricultural Engineering) there, and the job where I was fabricating was in the prototype workshop at Vicon ltd when they were in Market Drayton in Shrops.

The college I went to was in evesham and did a engineering ND, it was an agric college, but stoped doing agric year before I got there. most of the students there are know doing hair dressing/beauty treatment courses. A good view mind

Currently down on harper's books for september start though, doing Off road vehicle design, next one will probably use a landrover donor

As for BTs comment I would say nature and nurture. If you naturally good to start with then it helps, but significant improvement can be made regardless of natural ability with suitable nurture.

[Edited on 3/5/05 by clbarclay]

Peteff

posted on 3/5/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've never been taught to mig weld but I was taught arc welding, gas welding and propane cutting and arcair cutting. I did a bit of tig welding many years ago as well and used a thermic lance to clean out a furnace once, they are evil tools. I think that anyone can learn to do anything given training and tools. I still wish I'd gone to work in a bank sometimes though

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

drmike54

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Welding

Last night I read several of the articles that I have downloaded about MIG welding. I like the idea about the 500W light. I realized this morning that I need to raise the table up some because my back was hurting from being bent over to far.

I guess the real problem was I JUST COULD NOT WAIT TO MELT SOME STEEL.

Lawnmower

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The college I went to was in evesham and did a engineering ND, it was an agric college, but stoped doing agric year before I got there. most of the students there are know doing hair dressing/beauty treatment courses. A good view mind

Currently down on harper's books for september start though, doing Off road vehicle design, next one will probably use a landrover donor

I live just outside Evesham and need to learn welding (as I am having to rely on a friend to get my Landy through its MOT!) I think Pershore college does courses, but havn't booked myself on one yet. Worthwhile?

clbarclay

posted on 3/5/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Pershore college is the one between pershore and evesham, only done counter balance lift truck licence there, so can't comment. Evesham college is across the road from H&M motor factors.

The welding I did there was just part of another course, so teaching was not too good, I was mainly left to it. The groups I saw in there doing purely welding looked to be getting far better tuition.

One of the best bits at evesham though is the vast stocks of scrap metal you can weld together. I liberated a good peice or two, comes in hand when you need a suitable peice of metal to make a spacer or wishbones from.

JamJah

posted on 3/5/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Heard I was slated for my post. Was paraphrasing the edexcel textbook for the BTEC in Welding. Did the course but didnt fancy £300 for the paper.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.