Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommended Nibbler
MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Recommended Nibbler

Hi all,

Ive had this a couple of years now, and this is the first time ive had the opportunity to use it. I originally bought it for the scratch build, which im no longer doing.

Nibbler
Nibbler

Its fantastic. Above all, its safe, and made what would have been about an hour of shaping into a three or four minute job. Well impressed, and highly recommended.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

RazMan

posted on 20/1/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had one of those - great tool! Just make sure you keep it well lubed during cutting as it gets very hot.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 20/1/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a Turner? I've had mine about 12 years, if you oil the cut line especially on aluminium it will last ages and new punch and die sets are still available for them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 20/1/11 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Also put a bag under it to collect the bits it cuts out. The half moon shapes a) get everywhere and b) are sharp!

I'd also reconmend a decent powered drill. I got a cheap 500w one and it wasn't powerful enough to do the job but the 750w one i had was great.

Only downside is its not easy doing straight lines - but air sheers are great for that.

MikeRJ

posted on 20/1/11 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Also put a bag under it to collect the bits it cuts out. The half moon shapes a) get everywhere and b) are sharp!

Exactly what I was going to say, I can hardly believe how far the nasty little things seem to travel! It's a very good quality tool though, it was the only powered nibbler I could find that would cope with 16 gauge steel without disassembling itself, though you need a decent drill to make to cut smoothly at that thickness.

MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Exactly what I was going to say, I can hardly believe how far the nasty little things seem to travel! It's a very good quality tool though, it was the only powered nibbler I could find that would cope with 16 gauge steel without disassembling itself, though you need a decent drill to make to cut smoothly at that thickness.

The drill ive got (710W) made really easy work of it.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

g60_edge

posted on 20/1/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Any info on make & model. Sounds like I need one!
MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by g60_edge

Metal Cutter Turner Nibbler on eBay (end time 14-Feb-11 13:43:55 GMT)

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

g60_edge

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
thanks
MikeRJ

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:
Originally posted by g60_edge

Metal Cutter Turner Nibbler on eBay (end time 14-Feb-11 13:43:55 GMT)

Wow, they aren't cheap these days. I'm sure I bought mine with the drill clamps and a spare die for quite a bit less than that, but it was about 5 years ago.

Peteff

posted on 21/1/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
You can still get them in Machine Mart for a lot less than that. £46.80 sounds better, mine was £30 from Newark kit show many years ago.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeR

posted on 21/1/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Think i paid something between 30 and 40 quid from stoneleigh a couple of years ago - also got two of the clamps, one for the drill and one for the nibbler.
RazMan

posted on 21/1/11 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Think i paid something between 30 and 40 quid from stoneleigh a couple of years ago - also got two of the clamps, one for the drill and one for the nibbler.

Me too - if you can wait for the next show then you will pick one up for around £30

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.