Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting an air filter backplate
RazMan

posted on 20/12/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting an air filter backplate

I need to cut 12 x 35mm holes in the aluminium backplates for my air filters. As they need to be done very accurately, what are my options? I can print a template and stick it to the ally to give an accurate guide, but I can't think of anything better than chain drilling and finishing off with a file ....... 12 times!

What would you use?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/12/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Q.Max Sheet Metal Punch Hole Punch - 35.0 mm on eBay (end time 04-Jan-11 19:59:43 GMT)
Davey D

posted on 20/12/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
with mine i used a top quality hole saw that was slightly smaller than what i needed, then used a half round file to perfect the shape.

If you have local engineering workshop with a laser cutting bed, then they would be able to cut exactly what you want first time without any need for fettling

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
If it was me I would use a trepanning tool.

Careful if you "Google image" that as you will get pics of holes in peoples heads.

Paul G

dilley

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have used decent hole saws, another idea is a wood bit! try it!
Confused but excited.

posted on 20/12/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
As clifty said; a Q Max cutter will give a perfect hole, time and time again. Not worth spoiling the job to save a few quid.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RazMan

posted on 21/12/10 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
The trepanning tool looks a bit too scary for me but thanks for the tip Paul

It looks like the punch is going to be the best way as long as I am careful with the measuring part. Ah well, it's only ally

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 21/12/10 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
What you should have said Raz is:-

"I need a trepanning tool like I need a hole in the head."

Scan your eyes over the pic below and see if there's anything you'd like to borrow.

Cheers,
Paul G

hole cutting tool
hole cutting tool

NS Dev

posted on 21/12/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
On that subject.......is there any reason why I can't use Q-max punches in a flypress (obviously without the bolt! ) as long as I make a decent holder?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

RazMan

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
What you should have said Raz is:-

"I need a trepanning tool like I need a hole in the head."

Scan your eyes over the pic below and see if there's anything you'd like to borrow.

Cheers,
Paul G

hole cutting tool
hole cutting tool

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I decided to add to my slowly increasing toolkit and ordered a punch for a tenner - plus getting to your place in this weather would cost more than that in food for the Huskies

Cheers,
Raz

posted on 21/12/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I decided to add to my slowly increasing toolkit and ordered a punch for a tenner - plus getting to your place in this weather would cost more than that in food for the Huskies

Surely you have to feed them anyway, or do they have to starve if you don't use them?

Cheers
Paul G

Nev.

Can't see a reason why not, other than a stop so that the two points on the male part don't bottom out and damage.
Also the centre has to be poked out of the female part of the die.

Cheers
Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.