Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Mig?
StevieC

posted on 21/6/04 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Which Mig?

Be gentle it's my first post!!

I've searched the archives and can't seem to find a decent topic on the subject.

I'm about to undertake my 1st build and am humming and arring over which Mig welder to get, looking at the Clarke 160T at the moment. Any comments?

Plus any advice on an air compressor would be most helpful..

Peteff

posted on 21/6/04 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
160 should be man enough for anything on a Locost. What do you need a compressor for? If you want one to run tools it's cheaper to buy the tools in electrical form as you will need a good output for most of the tools used on Locost building. If you just want one for a bit of painting, get a 1.5hp and a gravity feed gun and a tyre inflator to get you started.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 22/6/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a clarke, thin kit's the 160t, works a treat. got apic somewhere..

Ned.

edit: pics added:

new toy
new toy

nice weld
nice weld

[Edited on 22/6/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 22/6/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Clarke 151T, I think it's the older version of the 160 (looks exactly the same but mine was bought in 1996)

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 22/6/04 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
One bonus for Clarke products is that you can buy spares - you may end up talking to a complete plonker in their spares dept. (I did) but I got the stuff I needed in the end.

David

ned

posted on 22/6/04 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a spare shroud and a pack of 4/5 (whatever they come in the packeet) tips. I've welded most of my chassis up and done in 1 tip so far. used a couple of small weld reels. buy the larger weld reel if you're storing it somewhere nice and dry. the small ones are ideal if you're worried about the wire going rusty which the welder won't like.
Think I paid around £220 for my welder brand new if that's of any help.

I also found that the welder is very easy to use, the trick is getting the settings right (ie voltage and wire speed) The pic above was a weld i did on day 1 of owning the welder. i have since improved the settings and my technique. if you buy that one i'll happily share my settings with you..

Ned.

[Edited on 22/6/04 by ned]

StevieC

posted on 22/6/04 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanx for the help and advice guys, hopefully I'll be able to get to Machine Mart this weekend to pick up a 160T.

I'm currently bidding on a part built chassis on Ebay but failing to win that I'll just make one from scratch. (well I can but try)

Steven

[Edited on 22/6/04 by StevieC]

ned

posted on 22/6/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Settings I use successfully on this machine:

rocker switch on max, dial on 2 for voltage, 5.5-6 for wire speed. This goes well on 1" rhs.
rocker switch on max, dial on 3 for voltage, 8.5-9 for wire speed works great for 3mm plate.
If you do blow a hole in a tube on these settings (it happens occasionally if it's an awkward angle i'm welding) wait for the hole to have cooled a little first, then use the 1st setting as above but turn the voltage down to 1. This is good for patching up, then grind back.

Ned.

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/6/04 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Although these welders will fit a 15kg reel of wire, don't be tempted to use one. They put a hell of a strain on the wire feed and have a flywheel effect so you get a jerky start and an ill timed finish to the weld. 5kg reels are fine

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.