Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ali welding using a mig set??
boggle

posted on 24/2/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
ali welding using a mig set??

has anyone tried the ali wire and argon gas available at halfrauds for ali welding???

what where your results like??

boggle

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

02GF74

posted on 24/2/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
i have and result was carp - but this was on dirty scrap just for a play, i am sure I could do better but doubt be as pretty as AC TIG.

peeps on here have done reasonable jobs but the aluminium must be clean.

from memory the torch needs to be 90 degree to metal, unlike for steel when it is angled and you pull away from the heat pool as opposed to pushing in for steel. (or is it other way round).

buy the gas and wire and play.

[Edited on 24/2/10 by 02GF74]

MakeEverything

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I tried it and didnt succeed

Im now on the lookout for an AC TIG!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

wilkingj

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Something I have learned over the last 40.5 years with my current Employer is:-
Use the right tool for the job. Anything else is a compromise on results and possbily safety. (depending on what the task is).

You know it makes sense.

Depending on what you are doing, you could also try TechnoWeld or similar Low Temp Ally welding techniques.
I have tried these, and they work well, but so I cant get it to look as a good as a proper weld of any description.
Strength wise, I have found it to be as strong as the joining metal itself.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
You'll need a new liner for the torch too. Teflon i think. I tried with the standard liner before. The wire kept scrunching up and breaking at the rollers, and when it did work, the metal didn't melt, leaving molten blobs of wire rolling about on top. Must try again properly though. As above about the right tools etc, saw them using mig welding to make a aluminium body for a car on american hotrod, so there's nothing wrong with it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

boggle

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
we have a lorch programmable pulse mig welder for ali.....i had a play with it today and i was impressed...we also have a ac/dc tig set too...

was just thinking if i could tack my ali jobs at home it makes it easyer for me than having to weld them at work and hope i got it right.....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

BenB

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
A spool gun helps because it gets rid of the risk of jamming / need to change liners etc.

Otherwise super clean aliminium (stainless steel brush only), argon gas and practice.

Trouble is you have to get the heat into the workpiece initially (otherwise it just sits on top like proverbial bird shite) but not overcook it or you'll blow great big holes in your workpiece.

I'm planning on tacking my EFi plenum together with Mig then slopping technoweld over the joints to make sure they're air tight.....

02GF74

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
beware, technoweld/lumiweld and other aluminium solders are not as great as they are made out to be.

firstly for a big items, you need one hell of a lot of heat, then you will find that as the aluminium cools, it shrinks and then "weld" tears apart.

well, in my experience at least.

example of small aluminium tubes lumiwelded successfully:
from this
from this

(BTW it is a rear view mirror support)

g.gilo

posted on 24/2/10 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
ali weld

teflon liner, change polarity from steel , pure argon = super mig weld. lare percentage of commerical ali welding done with mig.
Peteff

posted on 24/2/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Aluminium tipper lorry backs are mig welded but the thickness of the material helps with the process. I have seen synergic double pulse mig on aluminium and it looks like robot work, look at Japanese bike frames and you'll see some examples.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flak monkey

posted on 24/2/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I was once told by a welder of 50+ years experience that MIG was developed for welding aluminium in the field during WW2 as it made repairs easier and less risky than gas welding. It was later it was used for steel.

Infact that seems to be confirmed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_metal_arc_welding

So yes is definately workable. However it is much easier on thicker materials (3mm or more)

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/10 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I welded up a slightly holed piston on a Yamaha FS1E with a MIG using alloy wire! Worked fine afterwards but it was only a field bike.
BenB

posted on 24/2/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
beware, technoweld/lumiweld and other aluminium solders are not as great as they are made out to be.

firstly for a big items, you need one hell of a lot of heat, then you will find that as the aluminium cools, it shrinks and then "weld" tears apart.

well, in my experience at least.

example of small aluminium tubes lumiwelded successfully:
from this
from this

(BTW it is a rear view mirror support)

If you pre-heat it in an oven beforehand it needs less heat on the blowtorch and cools slower. Simples I made up a fairly chunky handbrake bracket out of 5mm ali with it. Worked very nicely. When I changed my design and MIGd one up I ripped apart the ali one. Took some serious beating....

hughpinder

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this link:
http://www.afsa.org.za/Portals/0/Documents/Welding%20corner/pocket-guide.pdf
which seems pretty good on how to weld aluminium
Also see www.millerwelds.com for loads of useful stuff on welding.

Regards
Hugh

Airhead

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Buy yourself a TIG cheapskate. :p
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have a MIG running ally at work, I can handle it down to 18g, below that is a bit marginal!

Matt, buy your self a donor cheapskate :p

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Airhead

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Touché

austin man

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
you have to make sure that ally is clean I believe they recoment a stainless steel wire brust to clean the area I also read that the heat setting generally had to be higher than you would generally expect

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

boggle

posted on 24/2/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Airhead
Buy yourself a TIG cheapskate. :p

i have one allready...

and i have one at work to.....

u2u me for details

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.