Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon fibre laying
thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre laying

Looking for a bit of advice.
I fancy having a play with laying up some sheets of carbon fibre for some interior bits.
What I'm wondering is firstly could I lay this onto a sheet of aluminium? I could use the release agent supplied with the tester kit I picked up from carbonmods but as it's my first attempt I wanted to make sure it wouldn't stick
Also, any other tips to make it as painless or less messy would be apreciated.

tomgregory2000

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Do it on glass as the finish is much better
tegwin

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
What he says!!!

I use an enormous mirror to lay out flat panels.

Polish it up properly and the results will be fantastic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Was thinking glass or mirror, but finding one big enough is not easy
twybrow

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Glass will give a fantastic finish, but if the ALu is new (ie you are peeling the proterctive film off), then the results will be pretty good.

All of my interior panels were made on an Alu plate, and my dashboard mould is made fom a piece of kitchen worktop....!

Practice first with nice cheap glass fibre, as mistakes with carbon cost eye watering amounts if you are buying it retail.... Remember, it takes a lot of time, prpe and patience to get a good looking part, even when you have been doing this kind of work for years!

MakeEverything

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
whatare you making?

quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
Was thinking glass or mirror, but finding one big enough is not easy

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing they'd need polishing up and release agent used yes?
brianthemagical

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Cheapo conti board will also work. May not be quite as perfect a finish but is easier to come by. If it's something small you're after then OAP/printer transparencies work a treat.
BenB

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've also used contiboard. Worked nicely...
thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Glass will give a fantastic finish, but if the ALu is new (ie you are peeling the proterctive film off), then the results will be pretty good.

All of my interior panels were made on an Alu plate, and my dashboard mould is made fom a piece of kitchen worktop....!

Practice first with nice cheap glass fibre, as mistakes with carbon cost eye watering amounts if you are buying it retail.... Remember, it takes a lot of time, prpe and patience to get a good looking part, even when you have been doing this kind of work for years!

I've had a quick scout around and think I might be able to get a couple of mirrored wardrobe doors. nice and big and got a frame around them.
What about the release agent though, still best to use it?

thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
whatare you making?

Eventually interior side panels. I bought a couple from ebay a few years ago, but want to do the trans tunnel with it too so it matches. Only problem now is to get something that size is running into £200+

twybrow

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, 100%. Always seal and release the surface you are using. Glass will need less, as it is less porous than other materials, but pretty much everything will need some sort of release applied. For the DIY user, wax is very easy to use. Otherwise, look up some of the mould release manufacturers, and ring them for some free samples. Freecote 44 is brilliant stuff. Zyvax Z-slip is good, as it is non-toxic. Clingfilm can be used, but you will see any folds in it....

I made my interior side panels on a piece of Alu - with hindsight, I could have saved myself a load of polishing if I had waitied for a suitable piece of glass, but I was keen to get the car finished for SVA.

thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
You have any pics of your interior?
twybrow

posted on 14/9/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Description
Description

As you can see - you can notice a few scratches etc on the panels that came from the used bit of Alu i moulded onto. Also, I was limited by the size of the material I had to hand, so I made mine in 3 pieces (which makes fitting, removal and inspection a lot easier!). It is now a lot tidier than that looks, with a thin strip of black tape over each join.

brianthemagical

posted on 14/9/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just a heads up on cling film, it isn't compatible with polyester resins. Best bet in any case is to test, with resin, and release surface you're using, just in case like.
Thinking about it

posted on 14/9/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
What are you guys using for the lay up. Polyester or Epoxy resin?
thefreak

posted on 14/9/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a laminating starter kit from carbonmods to see how I get on with it. If I hash it up, I'll no doubt end up buying some sheets instead
twybrow

posted on 15/9/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is all epoxy. Some prepreg, some wet lay, and some infusion!
RK

posted on 21/9/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
I've screwed up lots of fibreglass and yes, carbon fibre, and ended up with very very few usable parts. Make sure the wax is dry and polished prior to laying on the first layer of epoxy. And then let that get tacky before starting, as they say in the Cmods vid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.