Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: geometry setup: tools
dan__wright

posted on 1/2/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
geometry setup: tools

im looking at buying tools to allow me to setup suspension.

the two bits in not sure about at the mo:

camber / castor / kpi:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sealey-GA450-Magnetic-Camber-Caster-Kingpin-Gauge_W0QQitemZ400023715235QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item40002 3715235&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
or
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AccuLevel-Digital-Caster-Camber-Gauge-RACE-RALLY-Kitcar_W0QQitemZ250310431749QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=i tem250310431749&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

is there a need for this (otherwise i have to use them on hub or disk or get an adaptor?)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Caster-Camber-Gauge-Adapter-Tool-RACE-RALLY-KIT-CAR-wrc_W0QQitemZ300260065631QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Measuring_Tools_Levels?hash=i tem300260065631&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

tracking:
string method? maybe make brackets up on the car to allow me to attach bars to so there's no messing about with axle stands?

corner weights:
any cheap methods?

dont want to spend more then necessary, if what ive listed looks rubbish then let me know what i should be looking at

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

ashg

posted on 1/2/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
like the look of the second one.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

v8kid

posted on 1/2/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding corner weights you can make your own, search on Ruggles Scales for inspiration. ! have a set I made and they have given stirling service for years with repeatable results.

Remember you need a level floor to take any measurements fom there is a very informative video on you tube but it is an involved process.

Cheers

PS I should have mentioned you can download a nifty programme to convery your iphone into a digital spirit level accurate to 0.1 degree.

[Edited on 1-2-09 by v8kid]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 1/2/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
8 sets scales from tesco @ £3.50 Rescued attachment corner weight setup.JPG
Rescued attachment corner weight setup.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 1/2/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely brilliant!

Remember if the scales are not level with respect to each other the readings will be inaccurate. Most flat floors are accurate to less than a mm over thier whole lengrh

Cheers

mark chandler

posted on 1/2/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
4 scales were all I needed for my bec, they may not be the most accurate so I zero'd with a heavy weights on them before I started. Accurate enough to register 5kg change in corner weights if I lent forward in the seat !!!

For camber & caster and tracking all you need is a plumb line and laser level and a bit of time, have a search on here plenty of advise.

Basically a straight edge that spans wheel rim to wheel rim and hold something like this against it for camber

link, for caster straight line between upper and lower ball joints, hold its against again.

For tracking hold a lazer spirit level against the straight edge and point at a board infront of your car.

Regards Mark

v8kid

posted on 1/2/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

Great tip I think I'll try that it should make it more accurate as you say by zeroing with a heavy weight.

Trouble is what are you measuring?

Suppose your floor was a quarter inch out on the diagonal front to back? One wheel will be a quarter inch lower or higher tyhan the others.

With 300lb springs thats 75lb out before you start!

You can have the most accurate scales in the world and the results will still be, sorry, but they will be rubbish.

Whats more the "self levelling" scales are no such thing when you read the sales blurb closely.

The secret is an accurate level before you start - and it's a pain to do.

Cheers

Fred W B

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The secret is an accurate level before you start - and it's a pain to do.

Agreed, but it could be argued that having the front and rear set of scales exactly on the same plane is not as important as getting each wheel pair horizontal.
That can be checked by putting a straight edge across the scales with a spirit level on top, and corrected by adding shims of steel or hardboard etc on top of the scales.
Mark the scales positions on the floor and the shims once set up and redoing it in future will be easy.

Remember to check the tyre pressures before starting to record weights.

quote:

Great tip I think I'll try that it should make it more accurate as you say by zeroing with a heavy weight.

I stand on the scale holding a toolbox

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 2/2/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Peteff

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kidSuppose your floor was a quarter inch out on the diagonal front to back? One wheel will be a quarter inch lower or higher than the others.

With 300lb springs thats 75lb out before you start!

Would that be true if your springs were only an inch long ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.