Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding stainless with mild steel wire / CO2
BenB

posted on 10/1/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Welding stainless with mild steel wire / CO2

If I'm going to paint the stainless anyway, can I weld stainless with mild steel wire under CO2 shield???

I know to retain the stainless properties of the workpiece you need to use stainless wire and funky gas but is that the only advantage ie it is isn't that you get cr@ppy birdpoo type welds or anything else....

jacko

posted on 10/1/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
You will be ok but the weld will rust in time
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 10/1/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cool! No problems. Going to get painted anyway!!!
blakep82

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
good to know! i want a stainless exhaust, but i've got a mild steel flange (well, I haven't but the engine has )

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

zilspeed

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly what my exhaust is.
Originally a stainless steel bike manifold, it was welded with mild wire and CO2.

Just take your time and watch the power settings if its thin stuff.

Today's project was 3mm mild onto 3mm mild, so I just whacked the power right all the way up

BenB

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Blowing holes in anything ain't a problem with my welder- it's only a 90A model!! Unless its 0.0001mm I'll be okay!!!
jlparsons

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't you have the same problem as with aluminium boats and stainless steel fittings, with the mild steel acting as a cathode and rotting away much faster for being joined to the stainless?

I've no experience at all welding stainless to mild, but this is what I'd be worried about if I were doing it.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

stevebubs

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
My fisher stainless exhaust looks like the head flange was welded to the downpipes with mild steel...
flak monkey

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
No galvanic corrosion between stainless and mild as stainless is still most iron anyway.

You can weld mild to stainless no problem in non critical applications. Similarly you can use mild wire to weld stainless no problems (other than the weld will rust in time...)

Weld away

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jacko

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
twin SU carbs/1
twin SU carbs/1

The manifold you can see is s/steel pipes welded to m/steel plate using m/steel wire in a mig
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 10/1/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless steel is mostly iron with a couple of percent carbon and, at lest on some grades, 26% chromium, plus perhaps other alloying metals. Mild steel can be mostly iron with a bit of carbon and some other stuff. MIG Welding wire is coated in copper.

When you weld, you melt both sides of the metal and the welding wire. What cools is an alloy of all 3 which sort of fades in concentration between the two metals joined. Welding mild to stainless, you'll see rust on the mild part anyway, so why worry.

Welding stainless to stainless with mild wire, I'd expect the concentration of Chromium to be lower in the weld than the parent metal but it still might resist rusting in a gentle environment, especially if the stainless was a good grade and the joint had almost no gap.

MakeEverything

posted on 10/1/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto. When youve welded stainless with MS wire, you can oftern see the different metals in the weld, or certainly the pool.

Perfectly ok if painted, but i wouldnt use it structurally.

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Stainless steel is mostly iron with a couple of percent carbon and, at lest on some grades, 26% chromium, plus perhaps other alloying metals. Mild steel can be mostly iron with a bit of carbon and some other stuff. MIG Welding wire is coated in copper.

When you weld, you melt both sides of the metal and the welding wire. What cools is an alloy of all 3 which sort of fades in concentration between the two metals joined. Welding mild to stainless, you'll see rust on the mild part anyway, so why worry.

Welding stainless to stainless with mild wire, I'd expect the concentration of Chromium to be lower in the weld than the parent metal but it still might resist rusting in a gentle environment, especially if the stainless was a good grade and the joint had almost no gap.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jlparsons

posted on 10/1/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless steel is anything with 10% chromium or greater, less than that and the passive oxide film doesn't regenerate so the protection dissapears. So if the merged mild and stainless in the weld ends up less than 10% it will rust like mild.

I did a bit of digging - apparently the shipping industy uses mild steel as an anode to protect stainless against crevice corrosion, so there must be some galvanic action there. No idea how much though, but I wouldn't be doing this with an exhaust with all its nasty corrosive gases, or with anything structural.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

posted on 11/1/09 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

When welding stainless steel to mild steel the filler rod/wire to use is 309 stainless. (or 312)

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.