Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe shifting
David Jenkins

posted on 22/1/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Afraid not...
... I need to find a second-shaft gear for mine. Noticed while changing the oil that one gear is badly worn.

David

NS Dev

posted on 22/1/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
mine makes AWFUL noises when its running, especially in top gear, but then it did only cost me £100 delivered 6 years ago so can't complain!!!

one day will get a squarehead master and live it up a bit!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 22/1/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I rarely ruin mine in top gear - as you say, it does make a racket, which is not so good in a domestic garage!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/1/07 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Update for NS Dev

Just been talking to Colchester Lathe Spares regarding the gear - they have a Colchester Master in stock, roughly the same vintage, so they're checking out the condition of the headstock gears for me.

They may well have a suitable 4-way chuck for you... just pray that it wasn't the one that was on the Master when someone lost concentration, and drove the topslide into the rotating chuck!

David

[Edited on 24/1/07 by David Jenkins]

NS Dev

posted on 24/1/07 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
cheers David!!

web page printed, phone call to be made later!!!!!

I could really use a new 3 jaw as well so I'll try and get a price for the pair!

thanks again

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Browser

posted on 28/1/07 at 02:10 AM Reply With Quote
Am I being greedy 'cos I bought another lathe today?
Not long ago I got a 10" bench-mount Atlas and was very happy. After searching the 'net and Ebay I found that the only place to get bits in regular supply was the States, it being an American made machine. Then the other day another one came up on Ebay.

Hadn't been repainted like mine, didn't have a chuck but, it had a set of changewheels, a threading position indicator, a pulley for the motor, a rack for the manual saddle traverse, a Dewhurst reversing switch and the cast metal stand which was an optional extra when new. All of these bits are missing from my first one and I figured by the time I'd collected them all I'dve spent more than the £128 that this one cost me, and I may be able to sell some of the bits I'm unlikely to use.
All I've got to do is convince SWMBO it was a good idea

[Edited on 28/1/07 by Browser]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.