Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG - what a difference!!!
clbarclay

posted on 2/3/05 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
use as much aps as the material permits..

(this you can adjust simply by not moving..
and triggering the pistol)

It is heat that melts metal to get sufficient heat you need a combination of current (amps) and time, moving the tourch slower means that the peice of metal is heated up more for the smae amount of amps used.

Its best to have the tourch moving at a steady continuos speed and set current on the welder to suit.

Unfortunaty to fully explain MIG welding on a forum like this it would take several pages. If you can do plenty of practice welding with an experianced welder checking how your getting on every so often.

Finding the experianced welder to guide you is the tricky bit, college cources are v.good for that.

[Edited on 2/3/05 by clbarclay]

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/3/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Finding the experianced welder to guide you is the tricky bit, college cources are v.good for that.

If these are unavailable to you, practice LOTS, and experiment with various setting, even ones which you know will give odd results

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

gazza285

posted on 2/3/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Shame you bought a MIG, real men use stick.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 2/3/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I may have lost b*lls in a freak accident at some stage and not noticed, but having done a lot with stick, i'm glad of the change to MIG.

Sticks good at rough and ready gluing of 2 lumps of steel together, but for delicate stuff like 16swg MIG is far nicer. I've tried using stick on 16swg and didn't bothe continuig any further.

gazza285

posted on 2/3/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fairly irrelevant anyway as we can't really use mig where we work.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 2/3/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
I may have lost b*lls in a freak accident at some stage and not noticed, but having done a lot with stick, i'm glad of the change to MIG.

Sticks good at rough and ready gluing of 2 lumps of steel together, but for delicate stuff like 16swg MIG is far nicer. I've tried using stick on 16swg and didn't bothe continuig any further.

Phylis Stein!! MMA is the finest of welds, far more control, beautiful flat, even, herringboned welds. Substantially stronger for the mass of deposited material.

Try 6013 Satinex rods from BOC, you will change your mind!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

clbarclay

posted on 2/3/05 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I would be less of a Phylis Stein, if I had done more stick welding with an oxford before it died and some dry rods.

Most of my memories of stick involve getting v.annoyed trying to start a weld when all it did was fix the rod to the work peice, so its probably not surprising I prefer MIG.

clbarclay

posted on 2/3/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
How do the satinex rods compare to BOC everday rods?

I expect being a cheap scate hasn't helped matters.

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/3/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from being green, they give a very smooth arc, easy striking and a very clean weld. You can use them with 48OCV, but better with 70+

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.