Board logo

HighVolumeLowPressure Spayer - B&Q Bargain
britishtrident - 2/6/08 at 01:23 PM

At the week end I bought a Performance Power 400 watt High Volume Low Pressure spray gun from B&Q --- for less than 20 pounds (reduced from 40).
It is an amazing bit of kit.

I had assumed that to get decent results from HVLP you had to spend a reasonable amount but this thing rocks. For touch-up work and smart repairs it is ideal --- much better control of the spray and much less over spray.

What I don't think it would be great for is putting on a any great thickness of primer and I don't think it would work with hi build primer-filler but for everything else it is my weapon of choice.

gingerprince - 2/6/08 at 03:09 PM

I know s0d all about painting, but is this such a thing that would allow someone who's never painted before to paint things like wings. i.e. buy this 20 quid jobber, primer, paint and thinners and away you go - no separate compressor etc to worry about? If that's the case I presume it'd be better than aerosol paints etc? Thinking it might be a good budget tool for the odd bit here and there and as a learning tool.

Peteff - 2/6/08 at 07:12 PM

I used to use a hvlp set with a turbine type air supply years ago and they are good. You had to run the paint a bit thinner in that one but it was very quiet and a good finish was easy.

Mr G - 2/6/08 at 11:05 PM

Worshop Forums Thread

HVLP guide

Will keep a look out tomorow if my local has some - £20 nationwide or just reduced in your local?

britishtrident - 3/6/08 at 07:05 AM

The one I bought had a plastic gun but that isn't a problem Car Mechanics mag did a group test on HVLP sets last years and the one with plastic guns all did pretty well.

gingerprince - 3/6/08 at 04:20 PM

Any chance you could let us have the barcode number of the item you bought? Swung by my local store tonight and they didn't have one, and the customer service desk were as useful as a chocolate teapot. With the barcode number I could ring them up and try and find stock locally.

Ta, Sy

Mr G - 3/6/08 at 05:04 PM

From another thread on ukworkshop there is this info:

NLE550HVLP

Barcode: 0326 5673

might be an older version though.

stevebubs - 3/6/08 at 10:38 PM

Is it this one??

Performance Power Airless Sprayer MB05030 85W Rescued attachment 0000003411346_001c_v001_zp.jpg
Rescued attachment 0000003411346_001c_v001_zp.jpg

gingerprince - 4/6/08 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Is it this one??

I don't think so. That's an 85W unit and looks self contained. The OP was referring to a 400W sprayer, which I believe has a separate turbine unit.

Also I've assumed the barcode on that ukworkshop thread is invalid - that's an old thread referring to a metal unit, this one is apparantly plastic and so will have a different code.

Might ring them up today anyhow if I get a chance, see if they can search on the product name.