Board logo

Laser cutting
turbodisplay - 12/3/08 at 06:39 PM

Anyone know of a place where I can get laser cutting done at a good price?
I got a quote today that almost made me choke!
I`ve got ali, steel and stainless steel parts.

One thing I`m getting made up is a caliper spacer, for an elise caliper, so I can run 345 * 30 discs.
For 8 spacers in standard ali they wanted £50 plus vat!!!

Darren

Volvorsport - 12/3/08 at 06:53 PM

thats not expensive !

iank - 12/3/08 at 06:56 PM

Laser places charge a lot per setup and a small amount per part. When I went for a quote a while back it was something like 1 off £100, 5 off £120, 50 off £150 plus cost of metal plus VAT.
That was for 3mm ali IIRC.

Was that £50 each or £50 for all 8?

BenB - 12/3/08 at 07:08 PM

I've always had excellent (and cheap) service from

http://www.laser-eng.com/

example price- £35 for 10 trigger wheels in 3mm mild steel.

froggy - 12/3/08 at 07:13 PM

im intrigued to know what this car is? my lotus carlton weighed over 2 ton and had fearsome brakes that were only 300mm. that price sound fair to me as laser cutting is usually half the cost of getting stuff punched out as there is no tooling set up costs with a laser

asn163 - 12/3/08 at 07:32 PM

Don't. know where you are, but I used these people for my stainless exhaust surrounds:

http://www.goodmanmetalworks.co.uk

Think I paid about £25 for two.

hth

Simon

[Edited on 12/3/08 by asn163]

mistergrumpy - 12/3/08 at 07:53 PM

You could speak to Wayne on here his username is IDONTBELEIVEIT. He does it for a living. There's a couple of examples in his archive that look good.

balidey - 12/3/08 at 08:36 PM

We have 2 laser machines at work and that price doesn't sound too bad.

I guess you wanted 8 making so you could sell on the ones you don't use?

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 12/3/08 at 09:56 PM

send me a drawing with some dimensions on and what material and thickness and i'll see what i can do
only to happy to help a fellow builder
wayne!! Rescued attachment DSCN1599.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1599.JPG

turbodisplay - 13/3/08 at 02:23 PM

Thanks for your replies.
I gues the only reason i thought it was expensive is that the normal company i use is much cheaper. (ESSEX LASER)
Still waiting for a reply for a quote, it is 17 days now, 1 more day and i will give up on them.
I got brackets made up for my rear brakes costing me 60ish, and that was with a load of spares.

Frogy the reason i want a large diameter is to increase the leaverage so i can hopefull get rid of the servo. I have 288 mm discs on at the moment, and i know they do fade (on the track) in the original car they come from (VX220).

I once had brake fade,never again!

Darren

froggy - 13/3/08 at 11:18 PM

is there no way you can explore cold air ducts and different pads before adding a chunk of unsprung weight to the car?

turbodisplay - 14/3/08 at 02:17 PM

Not being rude and ignoring post, spent past two days looking for the cat. Where was he? hiding in the garage, opened it in the evening to find him sitting there - must have followed me in.

I think, not sure yet that using ali calipers, as apposed to cast iron single pot, will give me a total weight gain that is acceptible. My car is going to be 900kg+ so it is not as big a unsprung/sprung ratio as a seven.
I will try 288, then go to 345 if needed.

Darren

turbodisplay - 15/3/08 at 07:50 AM

Thanks for your reply IDONTBELIEVEIT.
Tried to e-mail you but i cannot get the file attachment to work, tringto sort it out, might need to reinstall the software.
Do you do comercial parts as well? I also require 100*210mm 2mm ali pannels for my dashboard.

Thanks
Darren