Board logo

Tig questions ( Rehmann )
big_wasa - 11/12/07 at 08:26 PM

Hi I have just treated my self to a Rehmann DC Tig.

What size/type tungsten will I want and what size filler rods do I want so I can start playing with 16 swg mild steel.

I have 1/2 botle of Argon shield will this be ok to start with ? I will look into upgrading to pure argon if needed when its empty.

Cheers all.

madteg - 11/12/07 at 08:49 PM

You want a 2.4 tungsten because if you use a 1.6 you will find that when you touch down the tungsten will bend where a 2.4 will just pull off. You need pure argonshield it you use anything else you will get perosity and a poor weld ps you cannot use gas that is for mig welding.If you ever come over to kettering i will give you a lesson if it will help.

[Edited on 11/12/07 by madteg] Rescued attachment new manifold 002.jpg
Rescued attachment new manifold 002.jpg

Mansfield - 11/12/07 at 11:02 PM

The biggest tungsten mine takes (160) is a 2.0mm using the collets supplied. You may need a new collet if you are going to 2.4mm.

Even though I am still crap at it, it makes my best MIG welds look a bit weak.

To save money keep doing passes with the power off, pretend to dip the filler as well. It is good practice for the real thing and it means you are not constantly cutting up things to weld together. On the practice runs if you touch the tip on anything, you have to stop and pretend to regrind the tip. It is a bit like that old game 'Operation', you will see what I mean when you start welding. There goes his funny bone.

Gas doesn't have to be expensive, I dont know if these guys would be too far away to deal with you but check out this thread.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=77741