Board logo

Belt+disk sanders
Mr Rob - 5/9/07 at 03:13 PM

I was wondering if one would be a good investment when building a Locost. I was thinking for taking off burrs on cut tubes and tidying up brackets ect.

They don't cost much.. Rescued attachment belt sander.jpg
Rescued attachment belt sander.jpg

Confused but excited. - 5/9/07 at 03:21 PM

The cheap ones are mainly intended for light use on wood. The first time I tried using my mates one it stopped the belt. You get what you pay for was never truer.

Now having said that, a cheap B&Q belt sander of the type that you hold, held upside down in a vice works a treat and will really shift metal with a coarse belt. Use blue zircon belts not the red garnet ones. HTH.

clockwork - 5/9/07 at 03:29 PM

I've got a clarke/draper one, it's handy, but not essential, also where I have it sited I sometimes don't have room to use it, so use an angle grinder. which works just as well if I'm honest.
Mine was a gift, and I wouldn't get rid of it.

BenB - 5/9/07 at 03:29 PM

And don't forget to wear safety glasses. Preferably the wrap-around types with a good seal at the edges. I managed to get a metal splinter in my eye despite wearing safety glasses (non-sealing type). No-one in eye casualty believed that I was wearing glasses..... Pesky little flying metal fragments...

Ivan - 5/9/07 at 04:32 PM

Flap discs on an angle grider do it for me and are long lasting - if money is tight an angle grider is the one tool you can't do without in my opinion, although a belt sander is useful for many tasks.

A disk sander would be way down in my order of priorities.

Avoneer - 5/9/07 at 05:01 PM

I got one from B&Q supertore with normal grinder on the left side and vertical belt on the other side.

Was under £40.

It's been one of the best things I've bought.

Pat..

Fred W B - 5/9/07 at 05:57 PM

Seconded, this is mine, I find it extremely usefull. I have had to replace the switch though.

Cheers

Fred W B
linish
linish

[Edited on 5/9/07 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 5/9/07 by Fred W B]

designer - 5/9/07 at 07:43 PM

I use the Machine Mart model to finish off all the angles on tube ends.

caber - 5/9/07 at 07:59 PM

I bought a belt sander from Lidl. It came with brackets for bench mounting and it has been bolted to the bench since I got it. I wish I had it during the chassis build and I use it pretty much everytime I work on the car. cost £19.99 and was deffo a good buy!

Caber