Board logo

New toy for the garage
Pezza - 26/7/07 at 03:43 PM

Picked up this today

Had a good practice, managed some reasnoble quality welds, butt welding and spot welding bits in place. Got goood penetration

Bit more practice when I pick up some more bits of scrap and I can get the engine cradle welded in my chassis

Pez

Peteff - 26/7/07 at 03:49 PM

First thing to do is build a trolley for the welder and bottle, get down the supermarket with a pound for the materials

fesycresy - 26/7/07 at 04:03 PM

Or if you go to the out of town stores they don't need a pound

Pezza - 26/7/07 at 04:03 PM

lol good idea!

mookaloid - 26/7/07 at 04:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
First thing to do is build a trolley for the welder and bottle, get down the supermarket with a pound for the materials

I didn't know supermarkets sold stuff for making trolleys.................oh I see what you mean

BenB - 26/7/07 at 04:27 PM

Just be careful. Shopping trolleys are coated in yucky zinc. If you weld it you'll get crappy welds and a stinking headache... Same reason its a bad idea to use a shopping trolley as a BBQ.... Well, okay the bit about crappy welds doesn't matter then.....

Pezza - 26/7/07 at 04:41 PM

Think a shopping trolley would be a bit wide anyway for ease of maneuvering.
Where i'm working tonight has a huge metal store they said I could raid.
So i'll grab some box section of various sizes and knock one up myself. They've got a box of caster wheels too

Peteff - 26/7/07 at 04:46 PM

It's traditional to build one with the welder as a tryout. This was built from stuff lying round the shed and some wheels bought from Newark for a fiver Rescued attachment tig.JPG
Rescued attachment tig.JPG

speedyxjs - 26/7/07 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Or if you go to the out of town stores they don't need a pound

Or wrap a 1p or 20p in paper to the shape of a £1 and wedge it in. Much cheaper and if you get really good at it, you can use it in vending machines

MikeR - 26/7/07 at 05:58 PM

i think the rear wheel on the welding trolley is a bit OTT!!!

Oh, how many miles do you get before the wing stay holding the cycle wing on breaks?

GeoffB - 26/7/07 at 05:59 PM

Blimey i think putting those green cycle wings on the back of the trolley was a bit over the top...

Damn must type faster

[Edited on 26/7/07 by GeoffB]

Peteff - 26/7/07 at 06:13 PM

Seven years and still going strong
green cycle wings on the back of the trolley was a bit over the top. Well if a job's worth doing.

Fred W B - 27/7/07 at 08:13 AM

I just chained the bottle in the corner of the garage and use a long feed hose with a quick disconect at the welder end.

Okay, I have a full size bottle but it easier to move the welder around without the bottle attached, and you're not tempted to hang your helmet on the regulator all the time.

cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 27/7/07 by Fred W B]

DIY Si - 27/7/07 at 07:01 PM

My garage isn't really big enough to bother making a trolley. I can lift it about quicker that way, as there's not enough space to manoeuvre a usefully sized trolley about!