Board logo

Build Table
drmike54 - 8/6/05 at 12:59 AM

Here is a picture of my build table. I thought it would be nice to recycle the skid from my spa but it seems to be a little out of level. I varies by about 3/8 to 1/2 inch over the length. Should I put an MDX sheet over it and level it or build a new base from scratch? Rescued attachment Work Table small.JPG
Rescued attachment Work Table small.JPG

200mph - 8/6/05 at 10:27 AM

personally.... new base.

the first thing I did was make sure it was completely flat, as any variations will make their way into the build, and although they can be compensated for, I always wanted to make it as accurate as possible.

and 1/2 and inch is quite a lot before you even begin.

all the best

Mark

DarrenW - 8/6/05 at 01:40 PM

"recycle the skid from my spa"

That comment got me confussed for a while - i take you mean your pallet off your bathtub - unless you are posh!!

I would say that as long as you can get a level base to work off you should be fine. Levelling that one off may work out as much hassle as starting from scratch.

NS Dev - 9/6/05 at 11:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by drmike54
Here is a picture of my build table. I thought it would be nice to recycle the skid from my spa but it seems to be a little out of level. I varies by about 3/8 to 1/2 inch over the length. Should I put an MDX sheet over it and level it or build a new base from scratch?

Interesting, I see you are in Akron Ohio, I will be visiting Timken in Canton for a week from 25th June to 2nd July........small world!

drmike54 - 20/6/05 at 01:56 AM

Got a some of 4x4s and laid them on top of the skid "pallet" from my hot tub. The pallet has bent 1/2 inch down in the middle while it's been sitting there. I guess it doesn't have much beam strength. Built a new table out of 4x4s and 3/4 MDX. I should be getting my steel in the next few weeks. Then the welding will begin!