Board logo

Propane Torch Help needed
Irony - 29/3/11 at 07:03 AM

I have one of these that I bought in a rash moment from B&Q

Description
Description

It has served me well in the past, it does however lack any real grunt. I was making some mild steel brackets last night and I am starting to feel like my canister is running out! Not wanting to buy another expensive benzonine job I thought there might be a more locost option. I wondered if you guys had any ideas. All ideas welcome except those that result in the 'cost' being I get blown up!!! hehe

907 - 29/3/11 at 07:53 AM

If you can rescue a cylinder from one of those "wood burning bottle butchers"
you could do worse than buy one of these.

Cheers,
Paul G

propane torch
propane torch

[Edited on 29/3/11 by 907]

dave r - 29/3/11 at 08:04 AM

mine is a roofers one, running from 907's bottle

no real Finesse but plenty of heat

Daddylonglegs - 29/3/11 at 08:36 AM

I've got a chuffin' great bottle of propane we used when we had a gas cooker running on bottled gas (joys of not being connected to the gas main where we are). Can I assume that the torch in the Terry clip runs from a sepearte bottle then? If so, where's the best place to buy one. If I had that connected to the bottle I have it would last for ever

Peteff - 29/3/11 at 09:01 AM

Buy a mapp gas cylinder for it and see if that does anything for it.

BenB - 29/3/11 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
I've got a chuffin' great bottle of propane we used when we had a gas cooker running on bottled gas (joys of not being connected to the gas main where we are). Can I assume that the torch in the Terry clip runs from a sepearte bottle then? If so, where's the best place to buy one. If I had that connected to the bottle I have it would last for ever

I'd get onto BES plumbing. They sell all the bits you need to make the worlds biggest propane bottle powered torch.

Johneturbo - 29/3/11 at 01:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave r
mine is a roofers one, running from 907's bottle

no real Finesse but plenty of heat

Does 907 know your using his bottle

Daddylonglegs - 29/3/11 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd get onto BES plumbing. They sell all the bits you need to make the worlds biggest propane bottle powered torch.

Irony - 29/3/11 at 03:01 PM

Cool I can get one of those orange propane tanks. We use them at work for forklifts etc. If I bought this

Clarkey Machiney Linky

or something similar would that work with the standard fitting on a propane gas tank?

Is this torch powerful enough for general pipe work, bending flat bar etc?

907 - 29/3/11 at 04:05 PM

Dave, you bar steward. Get yer own gas bottle.

We cook with Calor gas so we have the big 47kg bottles.
I just hook it up to one of them.

The reg that comes with the torch has a left hand male thread, same as an acetylene connection.

Not sure about forklift bottle threads. I also think that they have to be used on their side.

The next step up heat wise is a welding torch so you can use propane with oxygen,
but then we're no longer talking locost.

Cheers
Paul G

dave r - 29/3/11 at 08:32 PM

mine also on a 47kg, from when i had my gas heater

rekon it will maybe outlast me, the ammount i use it!!

dave