Board logo

holesaw
femster87 - 3/3/11 at 08:36 PM

Anybody know where i can buy a range of diamond grit holesaws for cutting fibreglass

coozer - 3/3/11 at 08:55 PM

I don't. But I just used normal ones from toolstation.

contaminated - 3/3/11 at 09:05 PM

And me from B&Q. Also cut through aluminium.

HowardB - 3/3/11 at 09:13 PM

if you have to have diamond grit ones, there are some that can be bought from B&Q for doing tiles, also there are those for cutting bricks,...

As noted for a few holes standard saws are ok.

femster87 - 3/3/11 at 09:13 PM

it seems to be quite rough when it cuts on aluminum, really don't want to crack them

Steve Hignett - 3/3/11 at 09:24 PM

Sorry to not answer your question but respond anyway, but:

I find the Starret range of holesaws to be superb and very clean cutting through FG and Carbon etc...

BenB - 3/3/11 at 09:27 PM

I thought the general rule with GRP is that you actually don't want a super sharp drill and that a slightly blunt one works better because it doesn't chip the gel-coat? Or maybe that's urban myth.

austin man - 3/3/11 at 09:32 PM

masking tape is a must, cut the hole undersize then make good with a dremmel with sanding bobbin on or cut out with the dremmel

big_wasa - 3/3/11 at 09:38 PM

I only used a cheap set for mine and they did the job just fine.

femster87 - 3/3/11 at 09:39 PM

thanks

40inches - 3/3/11 at 09:54 PM

I used a standard metal cutting holesaw, cutting through 2 layers of masking tape and joining the holes with this, using a fine metal blade.

Description
Description

Peteff - 3/3/11 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I thought the general rule with GRP is that you actually don't want a super sharp drill and that a slightly blunt one works better because it doesn't chip the gel-coat? Or maybe that's urban myth.

That certainly works for numberplates, blunt drill doesn't crack the top layer of plastic but a sharp one does.

The Venom Project - 4/3/11 at 12:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
Anybody know where i can buy a range of diamond grit holesaws for cutting fibreglass

I found using the drill in reverse made a super clean cut instead of ragging a hole through in forward drive.

I did all my steering and wishbone holes like this.

Cheers

Nick