Board logo

Garage winches
BenB - 7/11/09 at 04:40 PM

Do the 240v winches that come with a remote typically have an up and a down function?!!? Is the lower button (under the thumb) a three way switch or just an on / off switch?

coozer - 7/11/09 at 04:52 PM

Its a two way button with neutral in the middle. Push up to go up and down to go down, when you release the button it returns to the middle and stops the winch.

BenB - 7/11/09 at 05:02 PM

Excellent! Thanks for confirming.... Think I might have to get one....

Going to prove useful in the next few months

UncleFista - 7/11/09 at 05:27 PM

Check your local Netto first, the last ones I saw there were less than £40 each (they were in the clearance bit)

zilspeed - 7/11/09 at 05:33 PM

Make the installation even more usefully by mounting it on a trolley. 40mm angle, roller bearings, etc.

Pic says it better than I can.
It makes a huge difference and yes, they are very controllable.
Forgot to add, having it on double pull like in your pic not only doubles the pulling power and halves the speed, it makes it much more controllable.

Hoist in position LHS
Hoist in position LHS

[Edited on 7/11/09 by zilspeed]

MakeEverything - 7/11/09 at 05:59 PM

Anyone know a nettos that sells these that could pick one upfor me please? IVe been after one for a while, but didnt want to spend too much on it. Can pay postage and petrol / beer money.

BenB - 7/11/09 at 06:19 PM

excellent! not sure where the local netto is. quite like the idea of having it on rollers

UncleFista - 7/11/09 at 06:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Anyone know a nettos that sells these that could pick one upfor me please? IVe been after one for a while, but didnt want to spend too much on it. Can pay postage and petrol / beer money.

Damn, my local had 3-4 on the shelf for weeks, they eventually dropped the price to less than £40.

I'll check next time I'm in the area, probably monday.

scootz - 7/11/09 at 06:35 PM

Need to get round to doing this... put an exposed RSJ in the garage when I built it for that very purpose!

Will be interested to see which ones get most recommendations!

zilspeed - 7/11/09 at 06:44 PM

Mine is a Netto one which JoelP was kind enough to send up to me.

I wouldn't be without it now.

MakeEverything - 7/11/09 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:

Damn, my local had 3-4 on the shelf for weeks, they eventually dropped the price to less than £40.

Cheers Unc. Ill U2U my number if they do, and paypal you the money on Monday as well if they have one.

MakeEverything - 7/11/09 at 07:06 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:

Cheers Unc. Ill U2U my number if they do, and paypal you the money on Monday as well if they have one.

Ive got a Netto in Hitchin (6 miles away) ill go check on monday too.

hobbsy - 7/11/09 at 09:23 PM

I got a Clarke one like in the first photo, got it from a trader on eBay rather than Machine Mart though as it was about £15 or £20 cheaper.

Haven't fitted it yet as I didn't need to take my engine out after all (would've saved me time in the end).

Canada EH! - 8/11/09 at 01:23 AM

Obviously they modify these for several countries, mine is 110 volts, 800 lb lift. I use it mounted on a track to lower and lift garden tractor, lawn roller and and snow machines to the second floor loft of my shop, 5 years now now problems.

gazza285 - 8/11/09 at 01:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

Forgot to add, having it on double pull like in your pic not only doubles the pulling power and halves the speed, it makes it much more controllable.

It's called a sheave. Most cranes have them available in multiples to increase the lifting capacity of the rope drive, but as you state, each sheave increases the rope capacity, but lowers the speed.