Board logo

sorry guys...noobie arc welding question
pocket rocket - 19/12/08 at 03:53 PM

sorry if this has been covered before but i can't find exactly what i need with the search button.
I want to get a welder that i can use to weld up a simple exhaust system (mild steel) but also use if i need to make small chassis mod's later in the cars life (maybe engine swap)
I know you get what you pay for but money is thin on the ground at the mo so can i just get a sample arc welder for these tasks??? and if so what power do i need???
There are some companys quoting 140amp welders will weld 8mm thick, can this be true?
welds don't need to be a work of art, they just need to be solid!
all info and opinions are most welcome... thanks

jacko - 19/12/08 at 04:01 PM

Forget the arc welder and get a MIG welder
you will pay a bit more for a mig but far superior then arc for the work you are talking about
Iv been welding for 35+ years

speedyxjs - 19/12/08 at 04:02 PM

Get a mig on ebay. You will probably pay a little extra but welds will be much more suitable

HAL 1 - 19/12/08 at 04:09 PM

As above, but if you insist on an arc welder i doubt whether you'll need one for 8mm steel, at least not on a car, at a guess it's better to go for one with the lowest start point, machine mart do one that starts at 30 amp which uses 1.6mm rods, i dont think you'd need bigger rods than that for a mild steel exhaust.
they're hard work on a car, migs the way to go.

pocket rocket - 19/12/08 at 04:14 PM

oh ok, mig it is then thanks.
my workshop (if you can call it that) is not all that wind proof (yes its very cool in the evenings lol)
am i right in thinking i need a gasless welder with some sort of flux core welding rods?

theconrodkid - 19/12/08 at 04:38 PM

dont get a gasless one,they are poo,get a proper gas one,if money is tight try to bribe a local with a welder to do the deed for you

Peteff - 19/12/08 at 04:49 PM

If you do look at arc welders make sure they are the inverter type which run much smoother than the crude buzz boxes from SIP and Clarke.

BenB - 19/12/08 at 08:15 PM

If you've got a bit of a breeze through the garage a simple shield and turning up the gas will in all likelyhood do the trick. I've welded outside on moderately windy days without a problem.... You can even just use your non-gun hand (as long as you've got gloves on) to act as an impromptu wind shield (if you're welding a flat surface).

Buying a cheapo MIG off Ebay seems the best option. Lots of people buy Clarke 90s then sell them on for something more powerful. It's not that you *can't* weld thick material with these but you'ld need to notch a V and fill it in with multiple passes....

That's what I've done in the past anyway and no limitation. I think I paid £50 for the welder on the bay and wacked in a new liner and job's a good'un....

TheGecko - 20/12/08 at 06:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
welds don't need to be a work of art, they just need to be solid!

Those words could come back to haunt you. This guy may have said the very same thing
Magnificent welding 1
Magnificent welding 1

Magnificent welding 2
Magnificent welding 2

BenB - 20/12/08 at 12:00 PM

Nothing a flap wheel (or 30) on a grinder won't sort out

pocket rocket - 20/12/08 at 11:05 PM

thats as ugly as a war wound! ha ha ha.