Board logo

Electric polisher
David Jenkins - 7/11/08 at 10:54 PM

Can anyone recommend a decent electric polishing machine I can use for shining my ali bodywork? I know nothing about how these things are used, whether I should use a mop or a foam pad, and all that stuff.

I'm not looking for anything 'professional grade' as I'll only be using it a few times per year... but I would like to get something that won't give up the ghost after 10 minutes. I certainly don't want to be paying 'professional grade' prices!

Any clues on using these things would also be appreciated.

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/11/08 at 12:16 AM

silverline do a polisher for 34 quid

907 - 8/11/08 at 01:13 AM

Hi David,

I have a Bosch PEX random orbit sander.

It takes discs, sponges and mops, and was recommended to me by Trev.

You would be quite welcome to try it out..... on my car.

Paul G Rescued attachment orpex400ae.jpg
Rescued attachment orpex400ae.jpg

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 8/11/08 at 09:34 AM

tip of the day... on ali use greaseless cutting compounds not greased

PAULD - 8/11/08 at 10:49 AM

Classic and sportscar mag have just done a test (Nov 08) and consider the Siegen v400 sander/polisher best product. Highly commended was Halfords 240v car polisher.

splitrivet - 8/11/08 at 11:54 AM

Are you after a polisher/sander ie to take G mops David or just a polisher.
Netto or Lidl normally do one of the former every year, but I havent seen it so far this year so it may be due out.
Cheers,
bob

rusty nuts - 8/11/08 at 01:04 PM

Mine cost me about £35 inc p&p . Its a professional type tool that seems well up to the job. I use it with the foam pad and just use soft rags to wipe off after polishing . Does a good job but may not be quite as shiny as your back panel .Mel

gazzarose - 8/11/08 at 05:57 PM

re using a sander to polisher then I have no comment, but the other way round is bad news. I work in a boat yard, and was approached by a friend who repaints the hulls of the boats. He asked could he borrow my random orbit sander, cos his had broke, so he used a sanding disc on his polisher, which cos the polisher spins rather than wobbles like a sander, caught on the hull, and jumped into his face taking a chunk out of his nose. Give us something to laugh about tho.lol