Board logo

postage / couriers
IndyJohn - 6/12/07 at 01:38 PM

Hi
I notice peoplem charging the earth to post goods.
If possible I always ask If i can use my own couriers.

these are the cheapest!

You can get pallet work cheaper but you wont get large parcels any cheaper!

give them a try

www.parcel2go.co.uk

john

dan__wright - 6/12/07 at 01:40 PM

the cheapest are payperdrop at 4.99 but they are closed till mid jan

IndyJohn - 6/12/07 at 01:47 PM

Is that to deliver a mouse or an elephant?

john

Dangle_kt - 6/12/07 at 01:48 PM

issue with getting a courier to collect is that someone has to wait in all day for the courier to call to collect the goods. No bugger you dont know will do that for you - even my wife hates it and she is off on maternity leave!

A shame as the cost of those people is great.

when I move soon I'm going to find a nice local old person who never goes out, offer them some cash to be our parcel person!

Mr Whippy - 6/12/07 at 02:25 PM

here's a likely fellow for you...

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
when I move soon I'm going to find a nice local old person who never goes out, offer them some cash to be our parcel person!

[Edited on 6/12/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment Bum.jpg
Rescued attachment Bum.jpg

Jon Ison - 6/12/07 at 04:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IndyJohn
Hi
I notice peoplem charging the earth to post goods.
If possible I always ask If i can use my own couriers.

these are the cheapest!

You can get pallet work cheaper but you wont get large parcels any cheaper!

give them a try

www.parcel2go.co.uk

john

That's fine but like said above your not making any allowance for peoples time or the cost of packing material, for example the cooker hoods we send out are placed in a box which as to be purchased, then labeled, then shrink wrapped, people don't seem to take these things into account.

If anyone wants to send there own courier for one then fine, but he had better be good at packing and get here at our convenience, not his.

Just 2p's worth.

iank - 6/12/07 at 04:32 PM

I assume you're talking about ebay.

People don't just charge for the courier. As Jon says they also include packing materials, and the time taken to pack and take the box to a shipper.
Unless it's a commonly sent item they will probably approximate costs on the safe side rather than weighing and measuring the boxed item and then round it up to the nearest 50p.

I always follow the rule of adding bid and postage rather than bidding what the item is worth and then getting a nasty surprise.

IndyJohn - 6/12/07 at 04:48 PM

steady lads

it was just a post to help people shift parts

I was just letting people know that parcel2go charge about £7 for a large parcel

my misses took 5 cans of spray paint in a box about 1 foot squre to the post office and it was 10.99!

Suppose I worded the original post wrongly

john

martin1973 - 6/12/07 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by IndyJohn
steady lads

it was just a post to help people shift parts

I was just letting people know that parcel2go charge about £7 for a large parcel

my misses took 5 cans of spray paint in a box about 1 foot squre to the post office and it was 10.99!

Suppose I worded the original post wrongly

john

read the t and c's you shouldnt send aerosols through the post?

i use interparcel there not the cheapest but they use tnt/ dhl and i know when they collect i know the drivers and they will ring if they are going to be late or early. the wonders of a small tip can do.
i always give them a £10 at Xmas.

IndyJohn - 6/12/07 at 08:20 PM

you should not smoke ....but people do

read the packet!

john