Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westwood Clipper ride-on mower
ChrisW

posted on 5/1/14 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Westwood Clipper ride-on mower

Wanted: Westwood Clipper ride-on mower. Must be this specific model, no others suitable.

Spares/repairs/non-running/bits missing - anything considered.

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 5/1/14 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
That's a sorry looking thing, sure it's not a stripped down dogem?
D Beddows

posted on 5/1/14 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
It does have to be said that if you went out shopping for a ride on mower that isn't what you'd come home with
ChrisW

posted on 5/1/14 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
It does have to be said that if you went out shopping for a ride on mower that isn't what you'd come home with

They are indeed pretty nasty things, but they have a unique steering mechanism which is why I need one for a project.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

gaz_gaz

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161024759073?redirect=mobile

How much :O

ChrisW

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I know.... needless to say nobody bid on that one.

There was one on before Christmas at £375 'buy it now'. Again, not surprising that it ran a full month and nobody bought it.

I'm told they were horrible things to drive and therefore not many were sold.

Chris

My gaff my rules

nick205

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

My Dad has a garden machinery business and used to sell Westwood equipment. A bit of a long shot as it's such an old snotter, but I have asked if he's got or knows of any (or similarly designed alternatives).

ChrisW

posted on 6/1/14 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Hi Chris,

My Dad has a garden machinery business and used to sell Westwood equipment. A bit of a long shot as it's such an old snotter, but I have asked if he's got or knows of any (or similarly designed alternatives).

Thanks Nick. My brother-in-law's Dad owns something similar... http://www.gardentoolsandengineering.co.uk/. He's the one that put me on to the Clipper but doesn't actually know of one. Hopefully someone will come up trumps!

Chris

My gaff my rules

ReMan

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm intreagued
Is it some sort of horizontal crown and pinion arrangementthat drives the front wheels around a central pivot?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ChrisW

posted on 6/1/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this thread which explains what I'm trying to do: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=186993

Chris

My gaff my rules

ReMan

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh, I'd got an idea you wrere trying to re-create a dodgem type drive. I was close, there is a bevel, that's quite clever that is.
Not beyond fabricating at a push I guess?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ChrisW

posted on 6/1/14 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Not beyond fabricating at a push I guess?

No, but not with the kit I've got. Would need lathe, etc.

Chris

My gaff my rules

nick205

posted on 7/1/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Spoke with my Dad again last night. He remembers the model and actually attended Westwood's product launch down in Plymouth. He also recalls that the model was a duffer from the start and never sold well for him or Westwood. He hasn't seen one for quite a few years now.

might be worth looking for an alternative!

ChrisW

posted on 7/1/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Nick

I've been told the same thing, ie that they are rare because they were rubbish! Annoyingly I've not been able to find anything with a similar drive on it.

Would you mind asking your Dad whether he can still get hold of spares for it? I've found someone who has a 'breaker' but apparently it's missing the bevelled cog from one of the front legs.

I believe it's going to be Westwood part number 5671

(See page 25 item 49 in this document: http://81.223.123.133/etliste/WESTWOOD%201986%20-%202006/1990.pdf)

It's the smaller of the two bevelled cogs in this pic:

Westwood Clipper steering
Westwood Clipper steering

Thanks! Chris

My gaff my rules

r1_pete

posted on 7/1/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
An off the wall idea but would the steering from a dodgem car work for you, must be a similar 360 degree turning capability....
ChrisW

posted on 8/1/14 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
A dodgem is electric unfortunately, I really want petrol. Yes it could be done with an engine charging a battery or something but not ideal.

Chris

My gaff my rules

v8kid

posted on 8/1/14 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Would this bevel drive do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDDLE-DRIVE-GEAR-XS750-STANDARD-77-78-YAMAHA-SHAFT-BEVEL-CASE-UNIT-ASSEMBLY-/140892047822?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories& amp;hash=item20cdd209ce

Its cheap and the rest of the stuff is standard parts you can assemble yourself - the engineering looks rudimentary to say the least!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Duncan36

posted on 8/1/14 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Try Cubbington Mowers on 01926 431 324

It's a proper old school lawn mower repair place and the crap they have lying around is unbelievable. I went in with half a blade from an old mower (this was the 6th place i'd tried) and he had one on a scrap machine out the back that had been there for years.

www.acorn-printing.co.uk
www.tshirtuk.com

ChrisW

posted on 8/1/14 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Would this bevel drive do?

Interesting bit of kit, thanks for the link. I do need a 90 degree drive, was planning on using the back end from a shaft-drive bike, but that look a lot easier.

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan36
Try Cubbington Mowers on 01926 431 324

I'll give them a call. Thanks!

Chris

My gaff my rules

louboow

posted on 16/3/14 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
model

Hi sorry not got one spare or for sale but i just got one of these to do up and wondering if they have model numbers or anything as cant see anything on it apart from clipper?!? i need to start getting some bits for it any suggestions (were scotland).
many thanks
Louise

ChrisW

posted on 16/3/14 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bits are *very* difficult to come by. It seems hardly any were sold. Your best bet would be selling it to me and buying a conventional ride-on mower!

Chris

My gaff my rules

louboow

posted on 16/3/14 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
lol really. guess that would depend on how much i could get for this one to put towards one, could be a possibility then? not sure it exactly same as yours, it doesnt run by way been sat for years..
how do i attach a photo on this site to show you?

Louise

louboow

posted on 16/3/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
got them on photo archive
louboow

posted on 16/3/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/images/directory-icon.png

let me know if this works

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.