Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sump shortening
cd.thomson

posted on 21/4/09 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
sump shortening

Not holding out a massive amount of hope, but could anybody chop and reweld my XE sump? I found out on the weekend that I'd been given some misinformation about ride heights and engine heights from Dax

Craig

Steve Hignett

posted on 21/4/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a Steel or Aluminium sump on the XE? (excuse my ignorance!)

Steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
if its got enough clearance to get over a speed bump then I'd just bolt a 5mm steel skid plate to the bottom of the chassis to protect the sump, even if not then just make the plate tapered and you can just slide over the really high bumps being rwd

[Edited on 21/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 21/4/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think it has unfortunately. I thought it was steel but turns out its alloy so thats out. I'd have to buy an 8v steel sump and get that sorted.

Looks like I'll have to go with the £200 aftermarket sump/pickup pipe option.

Why can nothing be easy I've wanted to fit the engine for weeks but keep having to buy something extra, or read another bulk of information or wait for something to arrive . The car is doing my head in.

The most frustrating thing is I know once I get the engine over the car, the oil filter is going to foul requiring more work I bet and then I have to fabricate engine mounts - something I have no way of doing myself. Before anyone tells me off for whinging, yes if I had the money I know I should have bought a caterham.

[Edited on 21/4/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
you can't stick some of the engine out the bonnet and cover that with a grp bulge? What’s not fitting, is it the airbox? you should post some pics. Replace the oil filter with a oil cooler sandwich pipe take off, then you have proper cooling too. I think I have an unused one with new hoses hanging up in the other garage

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
I dont think it has unfortunately. I thought it was steel but turns out its alloy so thats out.

Why is rewelding it out? I need to get my ally sump modified soon ^__^

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

cd.thomson

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that your average welder wouldnt touch alloy, it made the job very tricky? Thats why if you want to chop the XE sump you need to start by swopping it entirely for a steel version (found on carlton 8vs I think).

The engine is tall Mr Whippy and wouldnt raising it give me issues with my gearbox mounting? The engine does already have an oil cooler take off as standard, could I just stick a bolt in the oil filter thread in the sandwich plate and then fit some kind of remote filtering apparatus?

Craig

thefreak

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
There's a place in Burton I buy my ally sheets from who always have someone in one of the bays welding something, and they only deal in ally.
Might be worth giving them a bell and seeing if they can help you out. Give Darren at JSK Aluminium a call on 01283 517417

Steve Hignett

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Well, you're under the wrong impression then!

A lot of people on here have MIG's and may of offered help if steel, but plenty on here have TIG's to weld ali!

What you really ought to do is the cut the sump yourself to the correct Dims and then just get it TIG welded.

You have U2U...
quote:
I was under the impression that your average welder wouldnt touch alloy, it made the job very tricky? Thats why if you want to chop the XE sump you need to start by swopping it entirely for a steel version (found on carlton 8vs I think).

cd.thomson

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak
There's a place in Burton I buy my ally sheets from who always have someone in one of the bays welding something, and they only deal in ally.
Might be worth giving them a bell and seeing if they can help you out. Give Darren at JSK Aluminium a call on 01283 517417

:O how did you know I lived in burton

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find that most fab shops are quite capable of aluminum welding. Sumps are very easy due to the thickness of the metal. To reduce costs you could do all the prep work like cutting out the pieces so they literally only need to weld it together.

To raise the engine a couple of inches you should only need to raise the engine mounts and leave the gearbox ones alone since your really only taking about a few degrees additional tilt, certainly when I was moving my Falcons engine up and down I did nothing with the rear mount.

Remote oil filters use the same mounting as the cooler so yes you could blank it of so long as you check you still are getting full flow. There's blanking plates available that clamp against the o-ring face where the filter usually goes to seal it off and force the oil through the take off pipes.

cd.thomson

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Well, you're under the wrong impression then!

A lot of people on here have MIG's and may of offered help if steel, but plenty on here have TIG's to weld ali!

What you really ought to do is the cut the sump yourself to the correct Dims and then just get it TIG welded.

You have U2U...
quote:

Cheers Steve, received. I love mechanics but welding is way way beyond me, I didn't know about TIGing

Craig

JAG

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I have a cast alloy sump on my MX5 engine and I had no trouble finding a TIG welder who was prepared to weld it up.

I made the new bits in 3mm Alu' plate and chopped the sump down and then he welded the new bits to the old bits and I gave him a tenner for his trouble (it was about 5 years ago )

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

welderman

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
as long as its a good ally then it can be welded, i did a sump chop mod for a sabb powered westie.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

welderman

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
after

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

02GF74

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I think you'll find that most fab shops are quite capable of aluminum welding. Sumps are very easy due to the thickness of the metal.

someone on here was doing just this using a MIG to weld ali.

as Mr W says, the thickness is in your favour whne it comes to MIGing.

buy the Al wire, argon gas and have a go on the chopped of base.

re: remote oil flter - look at ThinkAuto - they should have the bits. you can have remote oil filter and cooler.

cd.thomson

posted on 21/4/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
thank you very much everybody , Welderman you have U2U, and I've given that burton company a call too.

Still very apprehensive about the coming weeks for any problems that may arise, but at least this hurdle looks more managable

Craig

yellow melos

posted on 21/4/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't Give up on the dax, i regret the day i got rid of mine
welderman

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
inside Rescued attachment 2215353218_3e78159c98.jpg
Rescued attachment 2215353218_3e78159c98.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

welderman

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
inside Rescued attachment 2215293574_e47243bc6c.jpg
Rescued attachment 2215293574_e47243bc6c.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.