Board logo

Wanted - borrow spring compressors, lincolnshire
JC - 20/5/08 at 04:15 PM

I bought some spring compressors but they don't fit the 2.25" springs I am using. Does anyone in the Lincoln-Newark-Sleaford have a set that I could borrow that fit this size spring please??

nitram38 - 20/5/08 at 04:19 PM

Why do you need compressors for coil overs?
You simply slide them on the shock, put the collet on and screw the ring up.

MikeR - 20/5/08 at 05:14 PM

some people have acquired springs that are just a little too big for the shocks (like me).

My plan is to fit the shocks at the front, get the g/f to stand on teh car and tie wrap the shocks closed.

I'll then remove the shocks (carefully)
remove the spring (very carefully)
and wonder how the heck i'm going to remove the tie wraps without errr indoors asking the question "is that safe?".

r1_pete - 20/5/08 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

My plan is to fit the shocks at the front, get the g/f to stand on teh car and tie wrap the shocks closed.

Just be carefull how you ask....... I can just imagine my Mrs. answer to "put some weight on ere love."

P.S I've got some compressors, but think they're only good for standard tintop springs, will post a pic in a bit, will be at Newark Barge tomorrow night on the bike weather permitting....

r1_pete - 20/5/08 at 06:16 PM

Std comps Rescued attachment BILD0043.JPG
Rescued attachment BILD0043.JPG

r1_pete - 20/5/08 at 06:17 PM

I use this for motorcycle coilovers... Rescued attachment BILD0042.JPG
Rescued attachment BILD0042.JPG

JC - 20/5/08 at 07:16 PM

Pete, yes, those are very similar to the ones that I have!
I like the adapted device though!

I did indeed buy springs 'slightly' too long for my shocks (well, struts actually). They were an ebay 'bargain'!

daviep - 20/5/08 at 07:34 PM

I've recently given up using spring compressors completely, I now use a pair of 1" ratchet straps. They are so quick and easy you wouldn't believe it.

daviep - 20/5/08 at 07:35 PM

I've also bound the coils together with mig wire in the past!

JC - 20/5/08 at 07:38 PM

OK, new post title.. wanted, ratchet straps........!

dave r - 20/5/08 at 08:10 PM

pillar drill and cable ties
use the normal 4 or 5mm ones, not the heavy duty police handcuff type.. they let go!