Board logo

Ally cones for manifold
DaveFJ - 19/6/07 at 11:26 AM

Any ideas where i can get hold of some suitable ally 'cones' to make up my inlet manifold??.

I have tried making them myself using lumiweld but the results are somewhat less than inspiring!

Basically I need 4 cones made to roughly the following scribble..... (apologies for crap diagram!)

cones
cones

Ketchup - 19/6/07 at 12:16 PM

Hi, i can recommend a guy in colchester that i use, really nice bloke and he has made some interesting stuff, wouldnt take him long to make what you need i wouldnt have thought

http://www.cober.co.uk

ask for jim

matt_claydon - 19/6/07 at 05:44 PM

Are those inside diameters or outside?

DaveFJ - 20/6/07 at 07:49 AM

outside

MikeRJ - 20/6/07 at 08:47 PM

I suspect you'll need something a bit thicker than 1mm if you want it to support a set of carbs or throttle bodies, and want to weld it to a thick manifold flange.

It would probably not cost too much to get them turned up out of thick wall alloy tube (e.g. alloy scaffold pole).

Peteff - 20/6/07 at 10:31 PM

38mm i.d. to 46mm i.d. means finding a 48mm o.d. tube with a wall thickness of 10mm or thereabouts, you'd have to machine that from a blank bar I think and it sounds very expensive.

DaveFJ - 21/6/07 at 08:38 AM

yup - point taken - 1mm thick is probably a bit thin....

the important dims are indeed the Internal ones and as stated - 38mm/46mm

I have some 50mm O/D tube which has about 1.5mm thick walls, and tried doing a cut/shut job with that using that Lumiweld type stuff i got from Stoneleigh - but the result was crap and the seam just seperated under fairly low pressure

907 - 21/6/07 at 08:55 PM

They could be pressed from 40mm o/d pipe.

(Turn suitably shaped former and mount on a hydraulic jack)

Paul G

DaveFJ - 22/6/07 at 07:10 AM

Interesting thought Paul....

40inches - 22/6/07 at 08:19 AM

E-mail Allyfab http://www.allyfab.co.uk/contact.php

907 - 22/6/07 at 04:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Interesting thought Paul....

I pressed my exhaust manifold outlets from 1.6mm wall stainless tube.
The oval is 2" x 1"

It's amazing what a 10 tonne jack will do.

Atb

Paul G Rescued attachment Exhaust-outlet-s.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust-outlet-s.jpg