Board logo

Radiator Neck
Avoneer - 7/1/07 at 09:46 PM

Anyone know where I can buy an ali weld on radiator neck without an outlet or with a 5/16" outlet to match the blade thermostat and radiator outlets.

All the necks I can find are 1/4" or 3/8".

Pat...

indykid - 7/1/07 at 10:30 PM

so are you having a plastic cap now or a metal one?

make your mind up pat!
tom

daviep - 7/1/07 at 10:46 PM

Are you looking for an aluminium neck with a 5/16" overflow or an aluminium neck with a 5/16" return back into the radiator for bleeding past the thermostat.

Sorry for being stupid

Avoneer - 7/1/07 at 10:51 PM

What's the difference in either of those?

Both will have the same size pipe outlet in the same place won't they???

Or are you just asking where it will go?

A 5/16" neck with return pipe off it to connect to the thermo and the top of the radiator (via a 'y' in the rubber pipe).

Hi Tom - pondering on both still, may have to give the man a call!

Pat...

daviep - 7/1/07 at 10:55 PM

The overflow pipe on the filler neck is above the cap seal so you would be unable to return through this pipe.

You need a port somewhere below the cap seal or straight back in to the radiator.

Regards Davie

Avoneer - 7/1/07 at 11:05 PM

Ahhh, so the outlet on one of these is just an overflow and not really needed (see pic)???

Ah, that makes it easier as I can weld on some ali tube as an outlet a bit lower down (above the water level) for the pipe to go to the thermo and the top of the rad (as well as the large bottom outlet).

Cheers,

Pat... Rescued attachment radiator1.jpg
Rescued attachment radiator1.jpg

Avoneer - 7/1/07 at 11:06 PM

And if that is the case, where can I get just a neck with no overflow?

Thanks,

Pat...

bob - 7/1/07 at 11:08 PM

http://www.thinkauto.com

They sell the aluminium necks in standard size or with 3/8 overflow outlet. My catalogue is 5 years old sadly but quotes them at £16

bob - 7/1/07 at 11:13 PM

Hell they are cheaper now,just checked the site.

Do a search for radiator necks, std neck is now £14.21 with the VAT on

Avoneer - 7/1/07 at 11:19 PM

Bob, do you have a pic in your catalogue?

Just want to check the standard one doesn't come with a standard overflow outlet.

Thanks,

Pat...

daviep - 7/1/07 at 11:21 PM

OK having had a look at your pics of the header tank I think I've sussed what your trying to do.

The radiator should be fitted with a blank cap which has no pressure release facility,this is because the radiator is below the header tank and will be completely full of water, if the cap was to release pressure you would lose coolant from the system.

The bypass fromthe thermostat should ideally return back into the top of the header tank so that any air can bleed from the head straight back to the tank.

The cap on the header tank should be fitted with an overflow which is just piped downwards on to the ground so that your engine bay doesn't get covered in coolant if the cap has to vent pressure. With the overflow being on the cap of the header tank if pressure is released any air will be expelled first so you don't lose any coolant. Any air which is expelled will be drawn back in thru the cap when the system cools down again

Sorry that is so long winded I'm crap at explaining things.

Regards Davie

Avoneer - 7/1/07 at 11:31 PM

Yeah - I understood that and it sounds good to me.

Well spotted on the cap on the rad as well!

So I need to get a cap for the rad that isn't a pressured one and find a neck for the top of the header tank with a 5/16" oulet for an overflow and even better if the current cap on the rad will fit this neck.

Do you think my header tank will be high enough?

Thanks,

Pat...

daviep - 7/1/07 at 11:54 PM

OK just another couple of thoughts I had while having my lunch (nightshift).

Instead of replacing the cap on the radiator you could fit a small piece of pipe and blank that off the overflow which will do the same thing but cheaper

The 5/16" pipe from the thermostat to the header tank would probably best/easiest welded in to the piece of aluminium pipe you are using to make the header tank.

The size of the overflow pipe doesn't really matter. I would go for 1/4" as the hose will be smaller and tidier.

Header tank looks OK I think.

Again sorry it's so long winded.

[Edited on 8/1/07 by daviep]

[Edited on 8/1/07 by daviep]

bob - 8/1/07 at 12:10 AM

Pat

No pic but it lists standard neck or standard neck with 3/8 overflow,best bet is to give them a call.

Nice people to part money with and if you mention you found the info through the site they might just give you a discount.

daviep - 8/1/07 at 12:37 AM

If you really wanted the overflow hose to be 5/16" for aesthetic purposes PACE do a neck with an 8mm pipe £13.50 + vat.

Regards Davie

carlgeldard - 8/1/07 at 08:22 AM

Bloody hell Pat Ive just placed an order with Think-auto 10 minutes ago.

Carl