Board logo

WANTED: Cortina uprights
andyd - 24/10/06 at 04:11 PM

Guys,

Anyone got some (or even one) complete upright and hub they don't want?

I'm going to be machining up my own upright/stub axle/hub and steering arm for use with Wilwood brakes so I just want to take some accurate measurements so I can model the various bits.

There are a few on eBay at the moment and whereas I don't mind rust etc. £90 for some right out of the scrap yard seems a bit steep. Especially as I won't end up using them. I could sell them on once I've finished measuring but the hassle involved is putting me off.

I know, I know... I'm a lazy.....

goodguydrew - 24/10/06 at 04:33 PM

I'd buy them once you are finished with them! I'm also looking for a set!

Wadders - 24/10/06 at 07:09 PM

Might be worth thinking of revising the geometry if your going to the trouble of making your own uprights, tina ones arn't perfect i.e lack of self centering. Not sure what the perfect angles/dimensions are, but someone on here prolly will.
ATB
Al

Originally posted by andyd
Guys,

Anyone got some (or even one) complete upright and hub they don't want?

I'm going to be machining up my own upright/stub axle/hub and steering arm for use with Wilwood brakes so I just want to take some accurate measurements so I can model the various bits.

There are a few on eBay at the moment and whereas I don't mind rust etc. £90 for some right out of the scrap yard seems a bit steep. Especially as I won't end up using them. I could sell them on once I've finished measuring but the hassle involved is putting me off.

I know, I know... I'm a lazy.....

andyd - 24/10/06 at 07:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Might be worth thinking of revising the geometry if your going to the trouble of making your own uprights

Absolutely... I'm going to use the standard bearings therefore I want to measure the stub axle and hub dimensions. The hub will be standard PCD on the wheel size but custom for the Wilwood discs I've picked.

So really I'm only after a stub axle and hub but I figured it's easier to get the whole upright.

andyd - 24/10/06 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by goodguydrew
I'd buy them once you are finished with them! I'm also looking for a set!

On eBay at the moment there are...
these,these and these but apart from the ones from the Westie, they seem expensive. It may be the going rate however as they are getting difficult to obtain.

That last guy says he "usually" has about 5 pairs so if no other options appear then I may cough for one of his rough pairs and tart them up to try to flog them on later.

Mark Allanson - 24/10/06 at 07:50 PM

You can get a whole cortina for £16 on ebay at the moment, 1300 xfloo, uprights, axle, prop, all you would need is 8 lengths of 25mmx25mm erw and your £250 budget would be a distinct posibility

Mark Allanson - 24/10/06 at 07:51 PM

Forgot this
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=53782

flak monkey - 24/10/06 at 08:53 PM

How accurate do you need?
Rescued attachment cortina_upright drawing.gif
Rescued attachment cortina_upright drawing.gif

andyd - 25/10/06 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
How accurate do you need?

I've already got that particular drawing and yes on the face of it that would give me the dims of the stub axle... however, there are bound to be tolerence issues as I'd have to draw it up in mm (modern CNC eh?! tut! ). Plus the measurement on the bottom left drawing of 0.87"... where exactly is that pointing to? Also what radius curve is there on the transition near the back plate where the rear bearing sits? Also that doesn't show me hub details.... well, you get my point. Tis a start but I don't like to trust 3rd party measurements when the result will be propelling me at over 100mph (on a track ocifer!).

But thanks for trying!

Mal - 25/10/06 at 10:12 AM

Andy,
You have a U2U with an offer of a pair of uprights,

Mal

andyd - 25/10/06 at 10:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mal
You have a U2U with an offer of a pair of uprights

Mal... you have U2U2!