Board logo

Westwood Clipper ride-on mower
ChrisW - 5/1/14 at 10:00 PM

Wanted: Westwood Clipper ride-on mower. Must be this specific model, no others suitable.

Spares/repairs/non-running/bits missing - anything considered.

Cheers, Chris

mark chandler - 5/1/14 at 11:02 PM

That's a sorry looking thing, sure it's not a stripped down dogem?

D Beddows - 5/1/14 at 11:24 PM

It does have to be said that if you went out shopping for a ride on mower that isn't what you'd come home with

ChrisW - 5/1/14 at 11:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
It does have to be said that if you went out shopping for a ride on mower that isn't what you'd come home with

They are indeed pretty nasty things, but they have a unique steering mechanism which is why I need one for a project.

Chris

ReMan - 6/1/14 at 10:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows

gaz_gaz - 6/1/14 at 10:38 AM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161024759073?redirect=mobile

How much :O

ChrisW - 6/1/14 at 10:42 AM

I know.... needless to say nobody bid on that one.

There was one on before Christmas at £375 'buy it now'. Again, not surprising that it ran a full month and nobody bought it.

I'm told they were horrible things to drive and therefore not many were sold.

Chris

nick205 - 6/1/14 at 10:46 AM

Hi Chris,

My Dad has a garden machinery business and used to sell Westwood equipment. A bit of a long shot as it's such an old snotter, but I have asked if he's got or knows of any (or similarly designed alternatives).

ChrisW - 6/1/14 at 10:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Hi Chris,

My Dad has a garden machinery business and used to sell Westwood equipment. A bit of a long shot as it's such an old snotter, but I have asked if he's got or knows of any (or similarly designed alternatives).

Thanks Nick. My brother-in-law's Dad owns something similar... http://www.gardentoolsandengineering.co.uk/. He's the one that put me on to the Clipper but doesn't actually know of one. Hopefully someone will come up trumps!

Chris

ReMan - 6/1/14 at 11:05 AM

I'm intreagued
Is it some sort of horizontal crown and pinion arrangementthat drives the front wheels around a central pivot?

ChrisW - 6/1/14 at 11:07 AM

Have a look at this thread which explains what I'm trying to do: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=186993

Chris

ReMan - 6/1/14 at 12:00 PM

Ahh, I'd got an idea you wrere trying to re-create a dodgem type drive. I was close, there is a bevel, that's quite clever that is.
Not beyond fabricating at a push I guess?

ChrisW - 6/1/14 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Not beyond fabricating at a push I guess?

No, but not with the kit I've got. Would need lathe, etc.

Chris

nick205 - 7/1/14 at 09:48 AM

Hi Chris,

Spoke with my Dad again last night. He remembers the model and actually attended Westwood's product launch down in Plymouth. He also recalls that the model was a duffer from the start and never sold well for him or Westwood. He hasn't seen one for quite a few years now.

might be worth looking for an alternative!

ChrisW - 7/1/14 at 12:06 PM

Thanks Nick

I've been told the same thing, ie that they are rare because they were rubbish! Annoyingly I've not been able to find anything with a similar drive on it.

Would you mind asking your Dad whether he can still get hold of spares for it? I've found someone who has a 'breaker' but apparently it's missing the bevelled cog from one of the front legs.

I believe it's going to be Westwood part number 5671

(See page 25 item 49 in this document: http://81.223.123.133/etliste/WESTWOOD%201986%20-%202006/1990.pdf)

It's the smaller of the two bevelled cogs in this pic:

Westwood Clipper steering
Westwood Clipper steering

Thanks! Chris

r1_pete - 7/1/14 at 02:27 PM

An off the wall idea but would the steering from a dodgem car work for you, must be a similar 360 degree turning capability....

ChrisW - 8/1/14 at 09:58 AM

A dodgem is electric unfortunately, I really want petrol. Yes it could be done with an engine charging a battery or something but not ideal.

Chris

v8kid - 8/1/14 at 11:33 AM

Would this bevel drive do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MIDDLE-DRIVE-GEAR-XS750-STANDARD-77-78-YAMAHA-SHAFT-BEVEL-CASE-UNIT-ASSEMBLY-/140892047822?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories& amp;hash=item20cdd209ce

Its cheap and the rest of the stuff is standard parts you can assemble yourself - the engineering looks rudimentary to say the least!

Cheers!

Duncan36 - 8/1/14 at 01:12 PM

Try Cubbington Mowers on 01926 431 324

It's a proper old school lawn mower repair place and the crap they have lying around is unbelievable. I went in with half a blade from an old mower (this was the 6th place i'd tried) and he had one on a scrap machine out the back that had been there for years.

ChrisW - 8/1/14 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Would this bevel drive do?

Interesting bit of kit, thanks for the link. I do need a 90 degree drive, was planning on using the back end from a shaft-drive bike, but that look a lot easier.

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan36
Try Cubbington Mowers on 01926 431 324

I'll give them a call. Thanks!

Chris

louboow - 16/3/14 at 06:33 PM

Hi sorry not got one spare or for sale but i just got one of these to do up and wondering if they have model numbers or anything as cant see anything on it apart from clipper?!? i need to start getting some bits for it any suggestions (were scotland).
many thanks
Louise

ChrisW - 16/3/14 at 06:52 PM

Bits are *very* difficult to come by. It seems hardly any were sold. Your best bet would be selling it to me and buying a conventional ride-on mower!

Chris

louboow - 16/3/14 at 08:38 PM

lol really. guess that would depend on how much i could get for this one to put towards one, could be a possibility then? not sure it exactly same as yours, it doesnt run by way been sat for years..
how do i attach a photo on this site to show you?

Louise

louboow - 16/3/14 at 08:43 PM

got them on photo archive

louboow - 16/3/14 at 08:46 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/images/directory-icon.png

let me know if this works

louboow - 16/3/14 at 08:47 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/galthumbs/lawnmower.jpg

ChrisW - 17/3/14 at 10:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by louboow
lol really. guess that would depend on how much i could get for this one to put towards one, could be a possibility then? not sure it exactly same as yours, it doesnt run by way been sat for years..

I don't have one, I'm trying to get hold of one as I want the front steering mechanism for a mad go-kart type 'thing' I want to build. Have a look at this thread where it's discussed.

But they are very difficult to come by as very few were sold and the general consensus seems to be that they were rubbish mowers hence most have been consigned to scrap or left to rot. Parts are completely unavailable for them so your only option is to buy one for 'spares or repair' and take the parts off it.

I appreciate all this plays into my hands so please feel free to do your own research, but I'm sure you will find that the effort of rebuilding it to end up with a machine that was crap to start with would be far better spent on buying a more conventional machine with parts still available. If you do decide to go down that route I would be interested in buying the Clipper in order to take the front end off it for my project.

Chris

louboow - 17/3/14 at 02:17 PM

same as yours? any further suggestions..?

ChrisW - 18/3/14 at 05:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by louboow
same as yours? any further suggestions..?

I'm not sure what you are asking...?

Chris