Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham hassle GTS
flak monkey

posted on 24/3/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Folks, i think we all need to be careful what we say here. Darren has been threatened with legal action. Its quite possible this web site and the poster could also be threatened if we post views that are libelous.

I dont think anyone has posted anything libelous yet?

It would be interesting to know why he has been threatened with legal action though...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeR

posted on 24/3/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't suggesting anyone had, just that we should be careful and respect other peoples rights - irrespective of if we agree with them or not.

I'd hate to lose this forum because of one or two people accidentally say or imply something that is seen as illegal in a court of law.

flak monkey

posted on 24/3/05 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I wasn't suggesting anyone had, just that we should be careful and respect other peoples rights - irrespective of if we agree with them or not.

I'd hate to lose this forum because of one or two people accidentally say or imply something that is seen as illegal in a court of law.

I totally agree. It is within anyones rights to protect their intellectual property (whether it be designs or words), how far you take this protection is upto the owner, but there are limits i think as to what constitutes an infringement of intellectual property rights (as it seems this is what it all boils down to).

David

Sera

Triton

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
cateringvan..... does that mean the CSR is their new Chip-Shop-Racer.....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 25/3/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Remember when Intel used to name their processors '386' '486' etc, and then changed them to 'names'? I heard this was because you couldn't copyright a number, but not certain...

[Edited on 25/3/05 by Northy]

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 25/3/05 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
American laws are different to Europen laws. I believe Caterham have settled a long running difference of opinion with BMW. They now agree to share the trademark on the seven (not sure if its the number or word).
dozracing

posted on 25/3/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Wow, i leave you lot for a few hours and suddenly its the longest running thread of the week.

To be fair they have asked me not to use the word seven or 7 when relating to a 2 seater clubmans style car. What amuses me is that they don't have the balls to call me and ask, they just decide to let lawyers do it for them.

Also how do F27 get away with it? And whats the description of a clubmans 2 seater sports car? Isn't AK427 a problem for them, how do you describe a clubmans style car.

With regard to Westfield, the court action favoured Westfield in the end and it was them who made the big noise about it, because it basically promoted their products, and made the industry take note that Caterham felt threatened by Westfield and their products.

If they decide to persue me, then good luck to them, i'll gain more than them in the long run. They can't have what i haven't got and it'll only serve to promote my products.

Funnily enough they haven't complianed yet about the W7DE, but only about the F1-7 (the CSR competitor).

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Deckman001

posted on 25/3/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, how about F1 (6+1)

Jason

MikeR

posted on 25/3/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Darren, it is possible that Caterham don't know about the action. It wouldn't surprise me if the legal team had a brief to go after anyone who infringed the trademark and that is what they are doing.

As i think i implied before, be very careful if you go up against them. I'd put money on you loosing and us all loosing your input into this community as the legal action bankrupts you.

flak monkey

posted on 25/3/05 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
According to that trademark search they dont hold any copyright/trademark on the '7', only on 'Seven'. (Though the badge will be a trademark) That doesnt make it wrong to use the number 7 when describing a 7 car....surely!

As said...their lawyers will be highly paid, unless you know what you are doing, or have a lawyer friend, i wouldnt suggest battling with them. Maybe just come to some arrangement...

[Edited on 25/3/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

JonBowden

posted on 25/3/05 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sometime ago I developed some software. I discussed copyright with my lawyer. He explained that if I simply put copyright and trademark notices on all software and documentation then that was sufficient without registering the trademark. If this is correct then Caterham may indeed have claim to the "7" digit when applied to this type of car.

Jon

Peteff

posted on 25/3/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Intel used to name their processors '386' '486' etc

Someone preempted them by registering the name '586', that's why it was changed to the pentium rather than buy it back for an exhorbitant sum.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

theconrodkid

posted on 25/3/05 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
what about the "austin 7",that predated lotus by quite some time and later was used on a mini (without pas)

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeR

posted on 25/3/05 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just like the 7 series BMW - its a completely different car and a person who's interested in the '7' type car would not mistake the austin 7 or a BMW 7 series for that car - hence not an issue.

(i believe - this is all based on memories of conversations on the se7ens list)

pbura

posted on 25/3/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if part of the appeal of the original Lotus 7 for you Britishers was because of the Austin Seven and some of the specials built from it.

[img]http://www.vieux-volants.com/Galerie%20photos/Swiss%20Classic%20British%20Car%[/img]

Pete

pbura

posted on 25/3/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, dodgy picture link: Rescued attachment DSCN1941_small1.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN1941_small1.jpg

Pete

kipper

posted on 25/3/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
what a pretty austin 3point 5 times two
Triton

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Start using..."21" instead.....that will wind them up......
flak monkey

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
3 times better?

Sera

Triton

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
No the 21 was a flop and somebody in Surrey made it.......not naming names etc.

Nowt new about the early Lotus anyway .....they copied the Buckler which came before the Lotus 6 n 7

flak monkey

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Not heard of it? Out of interest...got any weblinks to any info about it?

Sera

Triton

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
It looks sort of like a Maxda MX5 only the Mazda sold well to those that messed with hair.....
Triton

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Try looking for Caterham 21.
MikeR

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the view was that the 21 didn't sell because .... its target market was taken by a little car called the Elise that was released just after the 21 and had wind up windows.
flak monkey

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Looks strangely like a Porsche 911/924 from the front. And an old bmw Z3 from the rear....

[Edited on 25/3/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.