Board logo

To trim or not to trim....
flak monkey - 21/10/06 at 12:50 PM

The question is should I trim off the part of the side panel that sticks out from the bottom of the nose cone, or not? I think It might look neater if I cut it off...

Would it cause a problem at SVA if i left it?

See:

Cheers,
David

darrenga - 21/10/06 at 12:53 PM

i would trim it ,think it would look much better

Mr G - 21/10/06 at 12:57 PM

Have you got a picture from a lower angle?

Those hand screw clamps bring back memories - made a pair of them in metalwork at school

G

flak monkey - 21/10/06 at 01:03 PM

I dont have a pic form a lower angle really. And the car is a bit too far away to pop and take one!

The only other one I have is this:

It looks a bit better now the engines in because the wishbone are in the centre of the panel cutouts.

Those clamps belong to dad, he made them during his apprenticeship along with several other handy tools I have used in the build

David

Mr G - 21/10/06 at 01:37 PM

I can't see where the discrepancy is coming from with the bottom of the nosecone and your sidepanel?

Funnily enough I searched for bodywork the other day. Mark's thread is here

Even if you'd kept the sidepanel longer it looks like they still would'nt meet. Is your nosecone a different design to Marks?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/CaLviNx/MyKitpics233.jpg

RazMan - 21/10/06 at 02:04 PM

How about making a glass fibre 'chamfer' piece to blend it all together?

graememk - 21/10/06 at 02:22 PM

i think i would cut it out a bit more to remove the right angle

flak monkey - 21/10/06 at 03:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
I can't see where the discrepancy is coming from with the bottom of the nosecone and your sidepanel?

Funnily enough I searched for bodywork the other day. Mark's thread is here

Even if you'd kept the sidepanel longer it looks like they still would'nt meet. Is your nosecone a different design to Marks?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/CaLviNx/MyKitpics233.jpg

My panel comes right up to the nosecone, its not short anywhere!

I think Mark has pulled his panel in further than I have. Though I am not sure.

David

scotty g - 21/10/06 at 03:30 PM

Dave you will have a problem with Mr SVA over this so yes mate, trim it back a bit or pull it in at the bottom and re-rivet.
The problem is that the bottom of the nose has a larger radius than the bottom of the side panel.
Cheers.

flak monkey - 21/10/06 at 05:16 PM

Cheers Mark and Scotty. The panels not riveted yet anyway, so it wont be a problem to pull it in some more.

David