Board logo

Fitting Handbrake Cable To GTS Chassis
andyace - 24/3/06 at 04:54 PM

I am just about to fit my handbrake cable.

I have a new standard Sierra handbrake cable and Sierra handbrake.

By the looks of it the cable is a lot longer than it should be and the holes in the chassis are too small to feed the cable through uncut.

Could anyone enlighten me as to the best way to fit the Sierra cable. I am assuming it needs to be cut in the middle and reclamped ?

Cheers in advance, Andy

ned - 24/3/06 at 06:20 PM

does the gts car have a special tranny tunnel top, as it looks like all those bits pertrude above the usual place/way that people pannel them in ally etc.

cheers,

Ned.

andyace - 24/3/06 at 06:24 PM

It just seems to have two holes for the handbrake cable to go through to prevent it fouling on the diff.

I think it will require the boxing to go up at an angle at the back. There is no pre supplied tran tunnel top.

andyace - 24/3/06 at 06:28 PM

If I want to use the original handbrake u shaped thing can I just cut the cable and use some kind of clamp to splice it together at some point ?

ned - 24/3/06 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andyace
If I want to use the original handbrake u shaped thing can I just cut the cable and use some kind of clamp to splice it together at some point ?

Yes. This is pretty much how i did it, think there are some pics in my archive under feb build.

Ned.

ned - 24/3/06 at 06:45 PM

ok, i lied the pics aren't in the archive, here they are. i made a plate to guide the cable above the dif - this is now bolted to the tube above/in front of the diff and tensioned up nicely. Rescued attachment IMG_1846b.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1846b.jpg

ned - 24/3/06 at 06:46 PM

i cut the cable at the end and got a new end fitting (where it fits over the arm on the caliper) from mac1. I believe its the type carried by the rac for repairing cables at the roadside, but expect you could cut it in the middle and use some u-clamps as i've seen that done numerous times. Rescued attachment IMG_1847b.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1847b.jpg

scotty g - 25/3/06 at 12:13 PM

GTS do a grp transmission tunnel top in two pieces, the back section does indeed go up at an angle to clear the cables and their holes, they have loads of them in stock right now.