Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness fixing - advice please WITH PICS!
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Harness fixing - advice please WITH PICS!

Hi all,

After some advice please. Need to fix my new harnesses into my striker. The new harnesses have an M8 fixing, so only need a small hole to attach too. Old harness was fixed like this:

And this is the bracket without anything attached:

I've looked at different brackets to bolt to it, but is it not easier and safer just to bolt directly to this chassis member, drilling all the way through like this:

Or is this damaging the chassis? i'm a little nervous about having a bracket welded up and bolted on, when the harnesses can bolt on direct. Its only an M8 bolt so is this a sensible option?

Advice from locost collective please!

austin man

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
there is usuall a tapped tube welded into the chasis rail, the chasis in my opinion wont be strong enough just drilled through and bolted

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

INDY BIRD

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not do what mnr do weld on a piece on top of the rail?

Pic below you can see how the harnesses bolt not really clear but gives you an idea?

vortx seats
vortx seats

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping for a non welding solution as i cant weld if necessary i'll take it somewhere, but whats the difference between drilling and bolting and having a welded on tube to bolt too?

sorry for my ignorance - not an engineer either!

paulf

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
You need to put something through the tube to prevent it squashing when the bolt is tightened or from just twisting out in an accident.I would get a bit of 25 mm square bar the correct length to fit between the original mounts and drill and tap each end to allow it to be bolted in from each end like the original mount was and then cross drill in the centre of it for the harness bolt.
Are you sure the new harness is only 8mm mounting bolt? normally they are 11mm or 7/16th, I would have though 8mm too be to weak.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
I was hoping for a non welding solution as i cant weld if necessary i'll take it somewhere, but whats the difference between drilling and bolting and having a welded on tube to bolt too?

sorry for my ignorance - not an engineer either!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
So two pieces of 25mm square box section, bolted to either side of the bracket? then drill through so bolting vertically? i need two mounts one for each side of the harness.

pretty sure its 8mm, definitely not the usual size. May need to check its not a slightly larger imperial size.

wishing i hadn't started this now!!

paulf

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would get a couple of bits of 25mm Solid bar not tube but you will have to drill and tap each end to whatever size the original bar was, you would need to chamfer the ends to clear the welds on the inside of each existing bracket.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
So two pieces of 25mm square box section, bolted to either side of the bracket? then drill through so bolting vertically? i need two mounts one for each side of the harness.

pretty sure its 8mm, definitely not the usual size. May need to check its not a slightly larger imperial size.

wishing i hadn't started this now!!

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 26/3/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
oh i see what you mean. unfortunately that wont give me enough to bolt to i don't think.

hmmm..... ok thrn. assuming i take it to someone who can weld it for me, what do i need to get them to do?

lsdweb

posted on 26/3/12 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
8mm is pretty standard for single seater applications.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 27/3/12 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
8mm is pretty standard for single seater applications.

That's reassuring. Any more ideas guys?

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 27/3/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking out loud - does a flat piece of steel work better than bxox section? There is the possibility of using a flat piece of steel welded onto the rail, so the bolt was only through the 5mm steel, which i could tap as well.

clutching at straws i think.....

daviep

posted on 27/3/12 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought a 5mm plate would be sufficent to make a tab of adequate strength but it wouldn't be thick enough to tap out to 8mm.

Here's how I did mine

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

vanepico

posted on 27/3/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I saw an episode of wheeler dealers where he just unlooped the racing harness and looped it around one of the roll cage bars, is this not possible for a locost with a horizontal bar on the roll bar?
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 27/3/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
the harnesses I have are bolt fitting so wouldnt work.

Thanks Davie, that gives me an idea - i'll try and knock something up and post a pic, see what the locost consensus is.

vanepico

posted on 27/3/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well I mean it had the bolt mount things but you were able to unloop the straps from an adjuster thing and remove it to put around a bar. I was thinking this would be good because if you chose to change your seats, you wouldn't need different bracket positions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.