Board logo

Electronic rev counter
flak monkey - 5/1/05 at 01:52 PM

Didnt know where to put this.. so it'll go in here.

Over christmas i went shopping in Maplin and saw they make an electronic rev counter kit. I bought one (they are only £20!) and put it together. Its very simple, if you are reasonable at soldering. Mine seems to work (though i have no engine to test it on properly!). They will work on anything from 1 - 12 cylinders. You need something to calibrate it with (an AC transformer will do). Then there are just 3 wires (power and signal), you just take the signal from the points. The read out is 2 digit leds. So rage is from 100-9900 rpm. So not suitable for becs...

Anyway hope someone finds it useful.

Cheers,
David

locoboy - 5/1/05 at 02:35 PM

Flack,

You dont have an item number do you, i did a search on webby link for "rev counter" and found nowt.

Sound interesting though.

timf - 5/1/05 at 03:00 PM

try ve01B

flak monkey - 5/1/05 at 04:30 PM

thats the one

andylancaster3000 - 5/1/05 at 05:42 PM

I got the same rev counter for a christmas prezzy, I am going to put it in my road car as it doesn't already have one. It was nice and easy to build (other then a clittle confusion over which capacitors are which). I haven't yet calibratated it, i'll be taking it to my grandfathers to use his pulse gen'. I'm also having a problem finding the correct wires to contect the signal input to. Its an electronic ignition on a fiat, there are about 4 wires going into the coil and two going into the dizzy, none of them seem to be giving out a signal when I connect it up. Any ideas??

When searching on the maplin sight try using 'tachometer' rather then rev counter. However I think the product code someone has stated above is wrong. I thought that is was K2625 (a Velleman kit believe)

Thanks,

Andy

[Edited on 5/1/05 by andylancaster3000]

flak monkey - 5/1/05 at 06:09 PM

VE01B is the maplin code. K2625 is the kit code from Velleman.

One of those wires should be giving out a signal. But i have a feeling in the instructions it says something about fitting an alternative pot if using on a car with electronic ignition. (You should have had one left when you made it...try switching it, if you havnt already).

David

krlthms - 7/1/05 at 06:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
thats the one

Sorry to briefly hijack this thread. David, I am wondering what happened to your avatar's belly button. I am thinking that the bb should be slightly above love handles in Z plane. Can see love handles but no bb. What gives?
Signed
Concerned of Chicago.

flak monkey - 7/1/05 at 01:02 PM

In the past its also been pointed out that she has a severe lack of ( . Y . ) as well....

Peteff - 7/1/05 at 01:27 PM

Help her out a bit. Rescued attachment 431.jpg
Rescued attachment 431.jpg