Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering trouble
Eggy

posted on 14/10/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Steering trouble

Firstly, self centre-ing: I've read about putting valve springs in. Has anyone got any springs and a picture of where/ how to put them in the rack? (Having a blonde moment!)

Secondly, steering stops: Again, I've read about jubliee clips/ sleeves etc - but where and how. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

nitram38

posted on 14/10/08 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on Centering.
My only words of advice is fix the original problem, don't patch it up with springs..................

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Do a search on Centering.
My only words of advice is fix the original problem, don't patch it up with springs..................

I second that, SVA inspectors are not as naive as you think, if they find a bodge like that they will probably lose their helpful demenure and scour your car for any other 'under engineering'

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 14/10/08 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have to agree with the comments above. I'm sure fitting valve springs and jubilee clips will get you what you want but it doesn't and never has sounded like a good engineering solution to me - and I'm not an engineer

Phil

Eggy

posted on 14/10/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, really confused now!

I've just searched back as far as April 2007 and read about castor/ camber/ KPI???!!!!

I think it best that I take some pictures of my current set up (believed to be Sierra hubs) with top mount adjustable mushrooms, and let you guys comment!

nitram38

posted on 14/10/08 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just DO A SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for the rant but this keeps getting trawled out.
Your mushrooms will not make any difference.
You need to change your top bones to increase your castor between 5-7 degrees.

[Edited on 14/10/2008 by nitram38]

mark chandler

posted on 14/10/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Caster is what is required, if you view the upright from above the top it should lean back towards the rear of the car, just like a motorbikes forks.

Regards Mark

mad-butcher

posted on 14/10/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I limited the steering this way Rescued attachment limiter.jpg
Rescued attachment limiter.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Eggy

posted on 15/10/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry if this is seen to be taking up forum space but as a "Junior Builder" I'm confused with all the terms and was looking for some clarification.

It would seem new arms will help so I'll look at getting some new arms made(dare I ask where from or if some are better than others??!!)

I won't put springs in the rack. But will be searching the photo archives for ideas on stops, so, if anyone has done this before please U2U me and I'll start looking.

Thanks to all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.