Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recommend me some rear calipers
blakep82

posted on 9/10/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
recommend me some rear calipers

rear discs are gonna be 240mm diameter, and 10mm thick

I need to get some rear calipers

ideally i want to get the wilwood handbrake caliper, but i can't afford them for now, so does anyone what calipers will be a 'straight swap' for them, if there is such a thing? so i won't have to redo the brackets and stuff later?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 10/10/08 at 01:35 AM Reply With Quote
These should do the job,direct replacement for the sierra unit I believe

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_588&products_id=10563 Rescued attachment RD3637.jpg
Rescued attachment RD3637.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 10/10/08 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
snip

ideally i want to get the wilwood handbrake caliper,

snip

Snake oil ! Avoid if you actually want a handbrake that works !

tomblyth

posted on 10/10/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I used MK5 astra calipers as there light weight alloy and I assume will be more up to withstanding british weather than willwoods (no dust seals in willwoods)

link

and at the front Hi-spec (as again has dust seals and there are no dust seals in willwoods)

link

handbrake cables are universal clutch cables from Hein Gerick (2.5mm as standard cables in lighter outer sheathing) about £3 each U2U meif you want part numbers

Richard Quinn

posted on 10/10/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
These should do the job,direct replacement for the sierra unit I believe

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=562_588&products_id=10563

Just bear in mind that you need 15"+ wheels for these calipers (ask me how I know!!)

omega 24 v6

posted on 10/10/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I used golf calipers and fiesta discs. there is a bit of wotk to do on the halfshaft flange (turn down a bit) and the pads have a slight overlap on the outside of the disc but they all fit under my 13 inch -10 offset wheels with 20mm spacers. I have heaps of pics if you want them.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

NS Dev

posted on 10/10/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
easiest is just to use std sierra rear calipers, thats what I have done.

No they aren't as light as the golf ones that rally design sell, but they are cheap, and fit under 14" wheels with no mods and 13" ones with a little tweaking of the handbrake lever mech, plus they are designed for 240mm discs and ford mounts

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

blakep82

posted on 11/10/08 at 02:43 AM Reply With Quote
sierra it is then

though i quite fancied these...
ebay

i guess, on any axle it doesn't matter if calipers are mounted front or back of the axle, so if i weld brackets on the front, i could always weld new brackets to the back easily enough...

i will keep my eye on those skyline ones though. opinions on them? cheap at the minute

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

TheGecko

posted on 11/10/08 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i will keep my eye on those skyline ones though. opinions on them? cheap at the minute
They look like the rear calipers of most modern RWD's in so much as they don't have a handbrake mechanism. The parking/emergency brake function is taken care of by a completely separate drum brake mechanism inside the disc. So, if you're looking for a straightforward swap they probably aren't much use to you.

Dominic

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.