Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hubcentric spacers fitted
Humbug

posted on 30/8/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hubcentric spacers fitted

I'm well pleased with the spacers (2x15mm hubcentric spacers, 485g each) I got from Venom Motorsport. Arrived today and fitted pretty quickly. I had been looking at wider tyres, since I needed an 2 new ones anyway, but they weren't available in a suitable/affordable size and I didn't want to have to get new wheels as well.

Only one question:

Before I put the spacers on the wheels were held on with 25mm open-headed nuts, leaving about 7mm of stud thread showing. With the 15mm spacers, obviously the studs don't come all the way through the nut. Is this OK (as in safe)? I also have an old set of 15mm open-headed wheel nuts, which I could put on, but I not sure if they would actually be any better, other than you would be able to see the stud thread.

With the longer wheel nuts and no spacers there are 7mm of stud thread showing

With the longer wheels nuts and the spacers, 15mm of stud are taken up by the spacer, so 17mm of stud is covered by nut and there is 8mm of "empty" nut thread.

With the shorter wheel nuts and the spacers, 15mm of stud is used by the spacer, 15mm with the nut, leaving 2mm of stud thread showing.

My thinking is that the longer nuts (which are easier to tighten/loosen than the short ones because of the depth of the nut well) should be OK even if the stud doesn't come all the way through, because 17mm of stud is covered, as against only 15mm of the shorter studs.

Also, the wheels have hub covers, so little or no crap should get into the open nut ends.

Thoughts please?

[Edited on 30.08.2008 by Humbug] Rescued attachment 2008-08-30 1 Wheel spacers.JPG
Rescued attachment 2008-08-30 1 Wheel spacers.JPG

Fred W B

posted on 30/8/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

17mm of stud is covered by nut

thats fine, use the ones that are easier to fit

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/8/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
How much of the nut is threaded though? O know some wheel nuts aren't threaded to the end of the tapered section.
Humbug

posted on 30/8/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
OK, ta... I think the nuts are threaded all the way through
NS Dev

posted on 31/8/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
17mm threaded into the nut is fine, don't worry about it!

Technical answer - as long as the nut is threaded by 1.5 x the stud diameter then its as strong as it can ever be.

Practical answer - spannering on the caterham C400 superlight race car yesterday at donnington, and the studs don't completely fill the nuts on that, and we've never lost a wheel yet!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Humbug

posted on 31/8/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
1.5x the stud diamter would be 18mm (M12 stud)... I think I might risk it, given that the other nuts (designed for M12 studs) don't even have 1.5x the stud diameter on them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.