Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: drums to discs, narrower track?
andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
drums to discs, narrower track?

Hi, im just mocking up my chassis and at the moment ive got a drum back axle (sierra) in, when it all comes apart and goes together final, ill be swapping it for an LSD with discs (still 7" Will the width of the wheels (track) be altered at all? I guess they must be different hubs, so are they just spaced wider? I could do with losing some width thats all, what are the options otherwise apart from new wheels I have a full disc back axle, the uprights will fit both types of hub wont they?? Thanks
Paul TigerB6

posted on 28/5/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget there are two widths of drum with the larger 9" ones being wider than the 8"
andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
The outside diameter of the drums measures about 9", and i think the wheels are peugeot fitment.
James

posted on 28/5/08 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK, or have heard, in 6 years or so on this site it's the same track with both discs and drums.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

britishtrident

posted on 28/5/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Ford PCD is 4.25" -- they have used since the days of the Anglia when Peugeot still held their wheels on with 3 bolts.

Peugeot chose the same PCD when they went four stud because they aquired plant set up to make it it when they bought Rootes & Simca off of Chrysler.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, i know this conversion has been covered a lot, but using the search i couldnt find the specific answer to my question, more just about push in shafts to discs. I am changing the whole diff, shafts and hubs. Anyone else think the same? What can i do to make it narrower, my wheels stick out of the body by about 10mm, could do to lose an inch so the wheel can travel up into the arch with the suspension travel. Rescued attachment wheel2.JPG
Rescued attachment wheel2.JPG

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/5/08 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Ford PCD is 4.25" -- they have used since the days of the Anglia when Peugeot still held their wheels on with 3 bolts.

Thanks, i meant the offset though.

chris_harris_

posted on 28/5/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Think if you get wheels with the ford pcd and a different offset, then you could prob lose 25mm, i don't know enough to be able to give proper figures, but could be worth ringing one of the alloy wheel manufacturers though. May mean a little expense too!

Regards Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.