Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone worried about balljoint strength?
Mark Allanson

posted on 10/11/03 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone worried about balljoint strength?

We have a regularly recurring thread about the strengths of balljoints in various applications.

I have a Vectra GSi Estate at work which hit a wall at ???mph, impacting the N/S/F side, outboard of the chassis. The bodywork evaporated and the main impact was to the roadwheel which buckled like a milk bottle top. The lower wishbone broke under tension at the front bush joint, the wheel pushed back into the bulkhead, splitting it and partially entered the passenger foot well. The A pillar folded in and the whole safety cell distorted to the extent that neither N/S doors would open. A large compression dent appeared in the roof and the front screen distorted and cracked.

The lower balljoint was totally undamaged in the accident, just a bit of reassurance for those using front wheel drive balljoints Rescued attachment BalljointWorries1.jpg
Rescued attachment BalljointWorries1.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/11/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
...and another Rescued attachment BalljointWorries2.jpg
Rescued attachment BalljointWorries2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/11/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
.. even more Rescued attachment BalljointWorries3.jpg
Rescued attachment BalljointWorries3.jpg

JoelP

posted on 10/11/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell that did have a bad day...

incidentally, if you use inboard suspension with rocker top wishbones then the load falls back onto the upper joint. quite irrelevant i know but anyway...

Peteff

posted on 10/11/03 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had a nut strip off my bottom ball joint a couple of years back on a bumpy country road near home and I steered the car round the bend on 3 wheels with the other one flailing about loose on the top balljoint at about 40mph. Put a new joint in next day but was very wary for a long time on left handers.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyps

posted on 10/11/03 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
My nearside lower ball joint failed just over a year ago - the ball popped out of its socket. Result was instant stopping and immobility - no steering etc. Fortunately I was only going about 15 - 20 mph at the time so no major damage. I am very cautious about worn ball joints now though!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/11/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
..another one, very similar, again the balljoint is undamaged Rescued attachment P1050010.JPG
Rescued attachment P1050010.JPG

theconrodkid

posted on 11/11/03 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
you got plenty doners there mark

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/11/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
8 a day at the moment minimun, its mainly due to the level of the sun at going to work time. they cannot see for squinting!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.