Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Panhard Rod Angle
Cheffy

posted on 27/10/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Panhard Rod Angle

Hi,

I realise the picture below is for illustration purposes only, but am I correct in thinking that the panhard rod should be level with the axle ie. parallel with the ground (assuming the car is sitting on flat level ground of course)? Therefore a Panhard Rod mounted at an angle like the one in the pic would not work correctly.

Description
Description

I only ask 'cos at the moment the one on my car looks more like the one in the pic!

Time for some modifications me thinks!

TIA,

Mart

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 27/10/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
It would give a much higher roll centre, odd jacking effects and increased rear bump steer

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 27/10/07 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
going by your drawing, if the suspension were to compress right down, the axle mounting for the rod would be in the same position as where the inside of the wheel (where it is now) on the pic.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 27/10/07 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
If you get your Panhard rod levelish with your axle at rest it will move an equal distance in both directions. When that one is compressed it will move the axle to the left and in droop to the right by quite a margin. Rescued attachment 200px-Panhard_rod.jpg
Rescued attachment 200px-Panhard_rod.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Cheffy

posted on 27/10/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Gents, well put. It's all so obvious once somebody points it out logically!

I'm off to the drawing board then.....

Cheers,

Martin.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 27/10/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I raised the panhard bracket to level the rod Rescued attachment Panhard BracketA.jpg
Rescued attachment Panhard BracketA.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Cheffy

posted on 27/10/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark,

I shall be doing something similar.

Martin.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.