Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Position of lower steering column bush
Cheffy

posted on 28/7/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Position of lower steering column bush

Hi,

Do you reckon this is okay for the positioning of my lower steering column bush - ie. is it too high up or too low down the column? I'm thinking mainly in terms of having enough room to allow the column to 'crush' in the event of a frontal impact. Also to keep Mr SVA happy as well of course.

Steering column lower bush
Steering column lower bush

TIA,

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 28/7/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
It shouldn't make any difference as the triangular section will slide through the bush, but have you checked where the steering wheel is in proportion to your seating position. The outer column looks a lot further forward than mine

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Cheffy

posted on 28/7/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the response. I just wondered whether the part lower part of column had enough room to travel back up into the upper part of the column before the triangular bracket (joining the upper to the lower part of the column) fouled on the bracket - er - if you see what I mean!

The reason it looks further forward is because the cross member it's mounted to is further back than usual. You can just see where it was originally mounted before I moved it back to give me a little more room to move the engine back. I'm using a V8 and inboard front shocks and space was a little tight in front of the engine!

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 28/7/07 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you still have the collapsible section at the top of the column, the concertina metal part and a 10º angle between your upper column and the steering rack connection you should be o.k.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulf

posted on 28/7/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mines mounted in the same place , had no problems at SVA.The only problem I have found is that the single bush doesnt support the column very well and allows some movement.I was worried about it as just put the car through its first MOT but they were happy with the slight play.
Paul.

Avoneer

posted on 28/7/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's about there too.

Seem like the normal place on most cars, or just under the chassis bar for those with higher chassis like MK's and the Avon.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Cheffy

posted on 29/7/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Great, thanks guys.

Mart.

big_wasa

posted on 29/7/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
mines about the same

geoff shep

posted on 30/7/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is this Sierra stuff? Is it me - or is Cheffy's bush (!) the wrong way round? And bigW, which way is that spring washer thing on yours - can't see clearly from the photo? I thought it all went together like this: Rescued attachment bush.jpg
Rescued attachment bush.jpg

Cheffy

posted on 31/7/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
The bush is new but I just put it on the same way the old one came off.

Would be interested in what others think though - I suppose it 's possible that the one I took off had been put on the wrong way round.

Mart.

[Edited on 31/7/07 by Cheffy]

geoff shep

posted on 7/8/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see it in great detail but there's a pic on this 'for sale' ad http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=71794&page=&contribmessage=none
Cheffy

posted on 8/8/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Geoff,

Yep, I think you're right mate. I'll turn mine round forthwith!

Cheers,

Martin.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.