Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Notchy Steering
RazMan

posted on 24/5/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Notchy Steering

My adjustable column has got a plastic support bearing which often starts to bind so the action gets very tight.
I want to replace it with a proper ball bearing but I need something really low profile as anything big will get in the way of my brake pedal.
I think someone posted a pic of a split pillow bearing that might do the job. Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding one? Failing that, any other ideas for supporting the column firmly?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 25/5/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
This one on the North West Hoodies site may be useful. Details a bearing which works well.Steering support bearing
02GF74

posted on 25/5/07 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
RS components sell bearings (I have account if you need to buy one).
DaveFJ

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I got my new engine mounting rubber from these people link. they sent me 2 thick catalogues full of different bearings and all sorts..... reasonable prices (for some of their kit) and really good service. thye didn't turn up their nose at my £7 order either

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

big_wasa

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Reading about the bearing used in the hood. The part number is wrong. It should be " SLFL25 "

Rs do them for about £12.55 They also do a 3 bolt version " SLFE25 " forthe same money.
Link

RazMan

posted on 25/5/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
On closer inspection the cause is now clear Rescued attachment Column Support.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Support.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 25/5/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
The bearing fell out in four pieces!

Replacing this with a needle roller isn't ideal. The od & id is 34mm & 28mm and tbh I would like to move the bearing away from the brake pedal a little more.
The triangle section lower down in the column normally has a bearing fixed doesn't it? ... or am I thinking of another column?

[Edited on 25-5-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Column Bush.jpg
Rescued attachment Column Bush.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

iank

posted on 25/5/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get a phosphor bronze bush that size? It wouldn't smash up like the plastic bush.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MikeRJ

posted on 25/5/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
The triangle section lower down in the column normally has a bearing fixed doesn't it? ... or am I thinking of another column?

On the Sierra column the lower bearing is a fairly cheap and nasty three piece plastic bush. You can buy them for a few quid at motor factors or ebay etc.

I'd have thought a needle roller was the only choice if you want a bearing with simmilar dimensions to the original bush?

EDIT:
Actualy, you might be able to use a spherical bearing to solve the problem and eliminate the door hinge solution: e.g. http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?recnumber=872

[Edited on 25/5/07 by MikeRJ]

NS Dev

posted on 25/5/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
phosphor bronze

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

RazMan

posted on 25/5/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
On the Sierra column the lower bearing is a fairly cheap and nasty three piece plastic bush. You can buy them for a few quid at motor factors or ebay etc.

I'd have thought a needle roller was the only choice if you want a bearing with simmilar dimensions to the original bush?

EDIT:
Actualy, you might be able to use a spherical bearing to solve the problem and eliminate the door hinge solution: e.g. http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?recnumber=872

[Edited on 25/5/07 by MikeRJ]

As I said earlier, I really want to move the bearing further down the column as it gets in the way of my foot when pressing the brake pedal (bit scary sometimes) so the triangle nasty bearing might be worth looking at ..... although those spherical bearings look rather tasty don't they. Either way I would imagine I will have to grind off the flange at the bottom of the column tube to allow a bearing of any sort to be slid on.
btw I got rid of the door hinge in the end - too much slack which made the steering inprecise.

[Edited on 25-5-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

saigonij

posted on 26/5/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
I just ordered my bearing from link above.

Guy knew exactly which website i was talking about !!! must have alot ordered!

i love this site, so many cool tips!

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 26/5/07 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Column Bearing

On my Kitten I used a real nice column bearing from a Fiat. It had a ribbed rubber outer and needle roller inner. The OD was about 10mm larger than the ID.

The rubber allowed a little flex to take up any out of true. The needles gave low friction running.

These are the best pictures I have. The bearing is at the top of the column.

NS Dev

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of those columns if you want one Raz, they had them in fiat 126's, and I have an immaculate spare one

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

RazMan

posted on 28/5/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
That's a kind thought NS Dev but won't that mean a complete rethink in my column mountings, switchgear etc? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers,
Raz

NS Dev

posted on 28/5/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
yea will be a rethink in terms of switchgear i'm afraid.

I think for your situation, just get somebody to turn up a suitable phosphor bronze top hat bush with a circlip groove the other side to the hat rim and clip it in where the plastic one came out.

RazMan

posted on 28/5/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent idea - especially about the circlip

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.