Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper wishbone
8smokingbarrels

posted on 11/7/03 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Upper wishbone

A couple of questions about this much loved component!

Firstly - I was thinking of using an audi track rod end instead of a transit one. One of the reasons for doing so is that camber adjustment would be a v.easy as the audi rod end screws into a separate threaded bar. The other end of this then screws into the trackrod itself. The threaded bar has both left and right hand threads and is simply turned to change track. My main concern with using this is that the threaded bar is only 1/2 inch thick and im not sure if it would be strong enough. Just wondering if anyone had opinions on this?

Secondly- was studying 'the book' plans for the top wishbone and noticed the greater angle that one arm has from the centre line (ie wishbone isnt symetrical). This of course relates to the castor angle. What puzzles me is why it wouldnt have been simpler to make the wishbone symetrical (angle of both arms equal to centre line) and move the brackets of the upper wishbone further back to take account of the castor angle.

Can anyone explain this why this isnt the case- Im still trying to get my head round this suspension theory!!

chris

Rorty

posted on 12/7/03 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
8smokingbarrels:
quote:

...the threaded bar is only 1/2 inch thick and im not sure if it would be strong enough.

If it's OK for a tank-like Audi, it'll be OK for a puny locost. It's probably made of half-decent german carbon steel.

quote:

...was studying 'the book' plans....What puzzles me is why it wouldnt have been simpler to make the wishbone symetrical (angle of both arms equal to centre line) and move the brackets of the upper wishbone further back to take account of the castor angle.

The only parts of the RC chassis I understand are the flexy brake pipe tabs!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hornet

posted on 14/7/03 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Lo dood, if you move the brackets further back... the are hanging in mid air as LA and LB are needed to attach to. hope this helps
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/03 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on 'accurate front suspension' and 'more accurate front suspension', almost everything is explained in these (very long) threads. Also a current tread 'mistakes in book' is good reading
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/7/03 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up making these upper wishbones Rescued attachment UpperWishbonesFast.gif
Rescued attachment UpperWishbonesFast.gif

8smokingbarrels

posted on 15/7/03 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thx guys for the replies

Hornet- I had a suspicion that the reason that the upper wishbone wasnt symmetrical was for some space reason- thx for confirming. Im not building a book chassis- so hopefully may be able to put the brackets further back and keep the wishbone symmetrical- just for ease of making

Mark- I will check the thread u suggest- like everyone else, im trying to learn a great deal of complicated suspension theory in a short period of time- it isnt easy!

Thx again

chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.