Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorcycle automatic stand levelling?
nitram38

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Motorcycle automatic stand levelling?

Sounds a bit wierd but my brother (R1 rider) says he has seen bikes that lower to the ground instead of using a centre stand. It is down to some sort of self lowering kit that replaces part of the suspension.
For my next car it would be interesting to use the same setup on the car as I hate speed bumps and they have already claimed the clips from my sidepods.
I would set up the car for a low ground clearance, but raise it when I come across this pesky bar****ds.
I could try to avoid them but twice I have been diverted down side roads by road works/police and had to hear the awful sound of my panels scraping.
Anyone point me to a supplier of these?
I have done a google search but it is a nightmare trying to find the parts.

Cheers Martin

Confused but excited.

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
One crew used a pneumatic piston on Biker Build Off ( the American series) to lower/raise the bike, it acted on the swing arm suspension.
Look on the net for forums etc about 'Lowriders'. They use hydraulic systems to control ride height.
Didn't the Citroen hydrolastic suspension do this? May be a cheap source of parts.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RazMan

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
It would certainly be a useful feature but how would you incorporate it into a lightweight design like yours? You would need to either change the shocks for pneumatic ones and have a compressor to control ride height (my Goldwing had something similar) or have a pneumatic 'assist' spring in tandem with the original shocks.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
why not do as per the F1 guys

2 bits of wood glued either side to allow ground contact but without damage
running strips, is that correct ?

nitram38

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
I am assuming there is a replacement shock for the bike as it lowers it to the floor.
A seperate hydraulic piston would not make the existing shock shorter.
My brother seems to think that it uses a shorter shock with another hydraulic section.
A car would only have to alter height by around 1-2" so if there are shock conversions, it may just be a swap for the standard ones on the car plus a small pump/compressor.
I will use inboard suspension again, so a cam with a 2:1 ratio could be used to increase any small changes created by the hydraulic shock.
This setup is for my next project, not the one in my avatar.

[Edited on 31/1/2007 by nitram38]

RazMan

posted on 31/1/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
A seperate hydraulic piston would not make the existing shock shorter.
My brother seems to think that it uses a shorter shock with another hydraulic section.

That's my understanding too - a short shock with an additional pneumatic spring assist. In fact you could convert a normal shock by simply attaching a hydraulic tube to the reservoir and just pumping in extra air to increase spring pressure. Motorcycle forks work in a similar way.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul (Notts)

posted on 31/1/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.air-suspension-forum.com/?gclid=CLTpkvOri4oCFSoMQgodS1veRA

may be of some help.

nitram38

posted on 31/1/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I do have an idea, which is to make a triangular cam instead of mounting the shock to the chassis and putting a hydraulic cylinder on the other side.
This will adjust the shocks mounting.

Found these : CLICK

More info: Click

[Edited on 31/1/2007 by nitram38]

nitram38

posted on 9/2/07 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Guys, just an update. I have been in touch with a US company who make Air Ride Suspension that is height adjustable and will directly replace coilovers.
No springs required.
4 shocks plus compressor kit works out at around £750 plus any import duty etc.

Air Shocks

Dual compressor kit

I am trying to get the price down if I buy direct.
What do you guys think of this setup?

[Edited on 9/2/2007 by nitram38]

RazMan

posted on 9/2/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a good candidate for your project. I used to have something similar on my first Goldwing in the 80's - you can dial in the height you require according to the weight you are carrying although I believe you are more concerned about increasing height when road conditions dictate.
The variable spring rate will of course mean a very hard ride in the highest ride height but that shouldn't be a problem - but what about sloppy handling in the softest (lowest) position?

I notice that their recommended ride height is roughly half way in their travel so is a couple of inches going to be enough?

Also the twin compressor might be better used for front/rear bias and not individual shocks as they suggest - is it capable of running 4 shocks?

[Edited on 9-2-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

nitram38

posted on 9/2/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
It is the shock rates that decide how hard the ride is. Inside is a bilstien shock.
The air suspension only acts as a spring for ride height control and corner roll.
The shocks are only available in soft or sports unfortunately.

Description
Description

[img][/img]

RazMan

posted on 9/2/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I understand that the damper will control the ride quality but without any pressure in the shock it will just bottom out and stay there won't it? I suppose comparing between conventional springs and air springs is tricky - like apples & bananas

Cheers,
Raz

nitram38

posted on 9/2/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
No the air suspension is a spring in effect so returns the shock to it's correct height.
It works the same way as a conventional coil over.

Alan B

posted on 9/2/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Would you like me to check these guys out for you?.....it's pretty close to me (in US terms, LOL)

Looks interesting for sure.

nitram38

posted on 9/2/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes please !!!
Although their feedback looks good !

nitram38

posted on 10/2/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Last night I ordered the compressor kit and 4 airshocks at 5.10 pm Florida time (10.10pm here).
Just checked UPS Express and they are at East Midlands Airport for delivery Monday
A set of wheels I ordered Thursday in Rochdale, will be here next Wednesday............go figure.
The company I bought them from is Arnott Industries in Cape Canaveral and the total was £814 inc delivery.
I don't know what the import duty will be (most of the time I have not been charged any).
The air shocks should allow me to run at 3" off the road (was going to risk 2", but thought better of it) and with the correct ratio of pivot cam, 2:1, on the inboard suspension, I should be able to raise the car to 6".
I know that the suspension geometry will change, but at least I will be able to go over speed humps and get to the infield at places like Donnington without bottoming out!
How well the non-adjustable bilstein "sports" shocks handle, I don't know, but watch this space !

[Edited on 10/2/2007 by nitram38]

Shaw

posted on 14/2/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
try googleing rayvern hydraulics and max hydraulics as these are supplyers makers in the uk and am sure they are cheeper ?
dont quote me though.

nitram38

posted on 14/2/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Too late now!!!!!!!!!!!
MikeRJ

posted on 14/2/07 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
It is the shock rates that decide how hard the ride is. Inside is a bilstien shock.
The air suspension only acts as a spring for ride height control and corner roll.
The shocks are only available in soft or sports unfortunately.

So what you are saying is that the air replaces the spring on a conventional coil over? If pumping more air in does not adjust the spring rate, how do you adjust it?

Also what stops the car raising up as the air in the shocks gets hot?

Peteff

posted on 14/2/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
My mate Kev had air shocks on his Goldwing and they were not too brilliant. They were very inconsistent and had to be adjusted all the time in use.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nitram38

posted on 14/2/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
We will see.
DIY Si

posted on 14/2/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
May not be a brilliant idea, but could you run them in parallel with some normal coilovers? Ie have two take offs on the rockers and only pump/prime/whatever the air shocks when required? Another option could be to link the rockers together and use the air shocks to expand the gap between the tops, thus raising the car for a short while? Could cause springing issue when raised, but it won't be for long will it?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.