Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaned the Diff - Now what?
John P

posted on 2/10/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Cleaned the Diff - Now what?

I bought a Sierra diff complete with drive-shafts etc on e-bay and have now removed the shafts and de-greased the diff casing.

Before painting should I remove the rear cover and give it a visual inspection (what would I look for) and is it worth replacing any seals?

Is there anything else you'd suggest doing or do I just paint it and sort any problems once the car is built?

John.

peterriley2

posted on 2/10/06 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
it depends on its age and condition but id check the seals and replace any if necessary. i also think its a good idea to get all the oil out and replace it when its in the car, as the colour of mine wasnt exactly encouraging... then either spray it or hammerite it id say.

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

mackei23b

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there

I cleaned the diff, took the backplate off for a visual inspection / cleaned and replaced the oil seals, here is what it looked like after painted.

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Diff seals from: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIERRA-7in-7-5in-DIFF-OIL-SEAL-KIT-inc-COSWORTH_W0QQitemZ220032734051QQihZ012QQcategoryZ21654QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt em Rescued attachment Diff.JPG
Rescued attachment Diff.JPG

John P

posted on 2/10/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Are the seals difficult to replace?

Do you need any special tools?

mackei23b

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

No special tools required (just circlip pliers for the output shafts if running with bolt on (Lobro) CV joints and not too hard to replace.

All the seals are a push fit, though for the output shafts that connect to the halfshafts. Before you remove these seals, you will need to measure the distance they have been pushed in, so that you can push the new seals in to the same place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

John P

posted on 2/10/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice.

For the cost involved I'll change the seals and hopefully avoid any problems later.

Pants On Fire

posted on 2/10/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mackei23b
Hi there

No special tools required (just circlip pliers for the output shafts if running with bolt on (Lobro) CV joints and not too hard to replace.

All the seals are a push fit, though for the output shafts that connect to the halfshafts. Before you remove these seals, you will need to measure the distance they have been pushed in, so that you can push the new seals in to the same place.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

I'm starting (hoping to finish) this job tonight. Still not convinced by the method of SWAG used to measure the seal depths, my n/s seal leaks, the cause could be incorrect depth. We'll see.

I tried to undo the fill plug last night. Extra double FT was the setting the last person did this up with.

flak monkey

posted on 2/10/06 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
The seals are pushed in 10-11mm from the outside edge of the diff.

The filler plugs corrode into the diff nicely. I had a 3' breaker bar and allen key socket on mine, and even resorted to an impact wrench, but nothing moved it. In the end i used a big cold chisel and a 2lb hammer to undo the plug. Just be careful not to smash the diff cover as its not that thick. I could have undone it with the 600Nm torque wrench i borrowed from work, but didnt have it at the time...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Pants On Fire

posted on 2/10/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
The filler plug budged at 70NM thank goodness I borrowed a big torque wrench from a previous employer some years ago.

Half way through the job, I stopped to watch 5th Gear. Why exactly did I bother?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.