Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Calipers without dust seals
Avoneer

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Calipers without dust seals

What's the general consensus on performance calipers eg, Wilwood, that don't use dust seals on the Pistons?

Anyone any experience?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not really any good for the road but plenty use them.....modern bikes tend not to have too much in the way of seals either.
Perhaps somebody out there has some answers?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I read on the Brembo website, that calipers without dust seals are not legal for road use.
Although which country this referred to is anyones guess.

RazMan

posted on 29/12/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure that there are no legal issues concerning dust seal-less calipers. Using them on the road shouldn't be a problem unless they are left long enough to get cruddy with brake dust & general road dirt.

I'm using them on my car so I hope all that is true

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Avoneer

posted on 29/12/05 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also hoping that with a Seven type car, the wind etc. will keep brake dust to a minimum.

Pat...

the_fbi

posted on 29/12/05 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
From Brembo's website.

Please remember that in the European Community, Gran Turismo products may only be used in racing and on private roads, unless you have obtained a new approval in compliance with directive 98/12/EC.

This applies to their GT range, which don't have dust seals.

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/Performance/GranTurismoBrakes/

RazMan

posted on 29/12/05 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote

I don't think this affects the UK though. It might be referring to the abolition of asbestos in the brake linings but it is rather vague. No mention of dust seals though.

Directive 98/12/EC (OJ L 81, 18.3.1998). Braking devices of motor vehicles. Germany, Greece, Austria, Portugal, Sweden. Agriculture

[Edited on 29-12-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

cidersurfer

posted on 30/12/05 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Advice from Compbrake here

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

JAG

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
The Compbrake site implies that this secondary seal is only there to protect the pistons and caliper body from corrosion - that's not the case.

The secondary seal will stop the piston from corroding and that is important because a corroded piston can/will damage the fluid seal.

The fluid seal is about 10mm inside the mouth of the piston bore.

But this type of seal also prevents other small particles getting between the piston and caliper body and damaging the fluid seal.

It also protects the piston surface (that slides in the main fluid seal) from mechanical damage. Mechanical damage can/will also damage the main fluid seal when you push the pistons in during a pad change.

You can cope with most of the issues that occur when you use a caliper without a secondary seal. BUT you must be aware that you can't 'fit & forget' like they do with regular production cars. I guess we are probably most likely to look after this type of caliper but it does require more attention than an ordinary M16 etc...

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Avoneer

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
So what are we saying, every week or so, give them a quick spray with brake cleaner???

Pat...

Bob C

posted on 30/12/05 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
I requested information from wilwood regarding this very point - their calipers packaging comes emblazoned with "not for street use" type warnings.
Their response was that they used the disclaimers because they had no control of the braking system engineered by the customers & needed to protect themselves from eejits & litigation.
I asked about the dust seal issue & they said "clean the pistons before you push them back in when you change the pads"
cheers
Bob

Avoneer

posted on 30/12/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Did you buy any Bob and were you satisified with the "clean before you change the pads" comment?

Pat...

Bob C

posted on 30/12/05 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, got 'em through rallydesign. Given the frequency of likely pad changes it didn't sound like a problem, sounds like "try not to ram road grit into the bores". The pistons are stainless so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. Here's a picture Rescued attachment frbrake.jpg
Rescued attachment frbrake.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 31/12/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Found this on a Nissan site to make me feel better:

"Some people are also curious as to why Wilwood does not provide dust boots on most of their calipers. The reason is pretty simple. Wilwood calipers are designed with ultimate performance in mind, i.e.: they expect their calipers to be used hard, which means high temperatures. Dust boots turn to a gooey mess or turn hard and brittle when exposed to the temperatures of driving events/track events and in either case, loose any of their effectiveness to keep road grime off the pistons. When you stop and think about it, this could actually cause a dangerous situation. If you run dust boot equipped calipers very hard (to the point of corrupting the dust boots ability to keep grime off the pistons) and then push the pistons back into the caliper without cleaning them, you could unknowingly compromise the piston/caliper seal and possibly cause a brake fluid leak or total failure. As a final point about dust seals, we have been providing our big brake kits to 300ZX, 350Z and G35 enthusiasts for over 4 years now with customers all over the world and have yet to have a customer need to rebuild a caliper."

Pat...

MikeRJ

posted on 2/1/06 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not saying that's incorrect, but if brake temperatures can get so high that the dust cover melts I'd be seriously worried about the integrity of the caliper seal itself afterwards.
britishtrident

posted on 2/1/06 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Not saying that's incorrect, but if brake temperatures can get so high that the dust cover melts I'd be seriously worried about the integrity of the caliper seal itself afterwards.

My thoughts exactly sounds like an excuse. Even with proper dust seals alloy calipers are very prone to seizing when exposed to salted roads.

Really boils down if you are building a car for road use then use parts designed for the purpose.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.