Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Panhard rod bracket orientation
Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Panhard rod bracket orientation

Hi,

Is this the best orientation for the bracket for my panhard rod?

Pat... Rescued attachment 1.JPG
Rescued attachment 1.JPG

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Pic 2:

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO, i believe so. The alternative would be to only have one side of the bracket welded on, and i can see nothing else to chose between the two ways (ie that way up or rotated 90 degrees).

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
ooeer Pat, , think about how axle moves in relation to panhard rod....you might want to turn it 90degs (bracket)...
IMO you need to turn the bracket in your hand over 90 degrees, and put it next to the link bracket.

Fozzie

[Edited on 4/8/05 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

JoelP

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
rod ends move ok in that direction too dont they fozzie?! surely the few degrees would be ok.

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The misalignment angles of the rose joint are not sufficent to allow the axle to move through its complete travel. The biggest misalignment angles are probably about 30 degs, but of course depends on the rose joints you have got. Best to check with manufacturers

HTH Fozzie

nanosleep

posted on 4/8/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If mounted 90-degrees from shown you would have trouble installing the bolt. The bolt would have to go into the chassis tube! The hole would probably not weaken the tube much, but how would you put the nut on?
Another orientation would be to leave the bolt axis as it is shown, but rotate the bracket with it's 'back' against the tube. This doesn't change the function of the bracket, but it lets you do an 'outside' weld around the bracket rather than trying to weld around the inside curve. Is this stronger or weaker I don't know. Seems easier though.

HTH
-Andy

2000 Mustang GT
2003 Mustang Cobra 450RWHP/450RWTQ
2004 ZX-10R
In progress: 67 Mustang with 520ci(8.6L) V8, 600HP estimated

Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Or I could just weld a bolt on like the Isonblade - that didn't break even after the crash! Rescued attachment rearpanard.jpg
Rescued attachment rearpanard.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
How about with the bracket welded at 90degrees (as per Fozzies said) and weld a nut to the inside of the bracket as well?

Pat...

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pat have you got Uncle Rons book (second edition)?...a lot of it is ...ahem...undesirable, but it will give you the idea on page 75 of how to position it.
re the isonblade, the rose joint on that is positioned the right way round.

Fozzie

Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yep, I have the book...I think that is the bracket on a "tapped" thick plate??? - The shock mount looks shocking though!

If I do it like this pic, and tap the brackets behind the nut as well (6mm of plates and and a small air gap between the inside of the bracket and the axle tube) that will be a nice fim fixing won't it?

Pat...

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yup Pat ya got it
Yes some of the work shown in the book is a bit...ahem...shocking, I got the book coz I wanted to build a Locost....and race it...lol. I put it away very quickly..lol. But, it does explain in the picture which way round the bracket and rod should go!

ATB Fozzie

Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I knew you could use rose joints either orientation, but forgot how much the axle "may" move up and down, so not worth the risk and it's not too hard to sort out this "new" way.

Just awaiting confirmation from Rorty and then I'll go forth and weld!

Thanks.

Pat...

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote

Fozzie aka Foggie

Avoneer

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Pat, you cannot use rose joints in either orientation, they are not designed to work that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fozzie

ps with rose joint in yer hand, bolt with head in vice sticking upwards, place rose joint over bolt, now try lifting rose joint up and down...will it? NO. Now spin it round (like helicopter blade) and it will go around 360 degrees how many times ya like! Thats the way its designed to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeRJ

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Hi,

Yep, I have the book...I think that is the bracket on a "tapped" thick plate??? - The shock mount looks shocking though!

If I do it like this pic, and tap the brackets behind the nut as well (6mm of plates and and a small air gap between the inside of the bracket and the axle tube) that will be a nice fim fixing won't it?

Pat...

Errrm, not really. The outser edge of the bracket is unsupported and is doing nothing for the strength or rigidity of the mounting.

Looking at the first picture you posted, I would be tempted to turn the bracket 90 degrees clockwise (in the same axis as the panhard rod), weld one edge of the bracket to the edge of the main axle bracket, and then weld a gusset at the back. Hard to explain, but like this:

In fact you could maybe also weld one edge to you shock bracket to make it even stringer.

[Edited on 4/8/05 by MikeRJ]

Fozzie

posted on 4/8/05 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mike, you have managed to draw this as I had tried to describe in the second posting.
Pat was refering (in your quote) to the book (Ron Chapmans), showing the correct positioning of bracket and rose joint.

Fozzie

Rorty

posted on 5/8/05 at 04:41 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry I'm late (as if you were really waiting for me, Pat ).
I like the method illustrated in MikeRJ's sketch.
Rod ends can be made to operate at high angles 90 degrees to the bore's axis (I get 46 degrees out of them for steering), but it's much simpler doing it the way that's been suggested.
Whilst I would never suggest the IsonBlade performs less than satisfactorily, mounting a rod end, on a lengthy spigot, on a thin-ish bit of sheet metal, and in single shear, wouldn't be my way of guaranteeing a sound night's sleep.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Fozzie

posted on 5/8/05 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
ooeer Pat, , think about how axle moves in relation to panhard rod....you might want to turn it 90degs (bracket)...
IMO you need to turn the bracket in your hand over 90 degrees, and put it next to the link bracket.

Fozzie

As said by me in the third reply on this thread.....
ta for ya confidence Pat... and cheers Mike for drawing what I said in the third post...memo to self......I must brush up on me computer drawing skills!
Exactly Rorty ...the degrees of misalignment which is stated on the rose joint before ya buy......as stated on the fifth (?) post......

ATB Fozzie

[Edited on 5/8/05 by Fozzie]

[Edited on 5/8/05 by Fozzie]

Avoneer

posted on 5/8/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry foggie, takes a bit for me to come round to a better way of thinking!

So if I move my bracket in towards the centre of the car to gusset the back of it (like Mike's pic), I'll still have a problem with the nut.

Can I still weld a nut to the inside of the bracket as per my latest pic and gusset the back?

Pat...

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 5/8/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Panhard Rod SRE Orientation & Mounting

If it was my car I would actually use the first method suggested with the rod end horizontal. This gives the better load paths, is easier to make and allows you to have a panhard rod as long as possible.

However you must check you do not run out of travel on the joint, ie it does not bind.

Mounting the SRE on a post in single shear ia a bad idea.

Mounting the SRE as in the last picture is a good idea, it is just more complicated to make.

Sperical bearings can operate in any orientation, in certain orientations you have less movement.

Check out most top racing cars that use spherical bearings (such as a Gould hillclimber, you will not find anything bad about this car) and the sphericals are mounted horizontal at the chassis end.

John

Fozzie

posted on 5/8/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, well having been involved in preparing race cars for many years...and for Le Mans racing...I do have just a wee bit of experience in this....as I have said before, you want to think of how the axle moves and how the rose joint moves, and then think of why you are putting it there. The Isonblade as per picture (green springs) has the rose joint in the correct orientation. Yes it should be on a 'better' bracket, but I am not going to criticize on that point, the isonblade is not the matter in question here.
Mikes drawing is spot on, the bracket has been made, you just have to turn it as described, and you will have to do a strengthening plate/gusset.
Uncle Rons book is not the best example of how to do things neatly, but the positioning is right.

Now I keep repeating myself.......I'll get me coat!..............................

Fozzie/Foggie

Avoneer

posted on 5/8/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I Heard you Foggie

Pat...

Fozzie

posted on 5/8/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Tee-hee-hee.....

Foggie..aka Fozzie

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.