Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is this column collapsed
JoelP

posted on 23/4/05 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
is this column collapsed

im sure we have had this debate before, but does anyone know if the adjustable column pictured below, has been collapsed. And would it still be usable if it had? It came out of an undamaged car, im just wondering if i was a little too persuasive with it... Cheers. Rescued attachment column1.JPG
Rescued attachment column1.JPG

Cheffy

posted on 23/4/05 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Joel,

You're right, it has been discussed before. No I don't think it has necessarily collapsed. IIRC the consensus of opinion the last time someone posted a similar photo was that this isn't the collapsible part of the column. The collasible part is the triangular section of the column further down. In the event of a frontal impact the clamp on the triangular section can slide up the shaft. Er, if you see what I mean!

I think that's correct, I could however be shot down in flames!

Cheers,

Martin.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 23/4/05 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yep Joel - it's fine and how it should be.
That is how the "adjustable" columns look.
It's the non-aqdjutable ones that have the same sort of section that doesn't look squashed.
Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 24/4/05 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
great news - seeing as ive already sold and posted it!!!!

cheers guys.

wilkingj

posted on 24/4/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Ive looked and thought about it,
I believe its OK, the others say they are like that, and Joel says not from a damaged car.

I have both adjustable and non adjustable.

Logic says the bit we are discussing collapses when the driver hits it in an accident. The lower traingle bit is for forces coming from the other end of the column.

LOOK at the mounting points and the concertina bits. The std one has the concertina bit ABOVE the mounting point and would collapse to become shorter.

The Adjustable one has a "collapsed" concertina bit and its mounted BELOW the mounting point and the drivers force would EXTEND the concertina bit in an accident. ie the both do the energy absorbtion bit, bit in opposite ways due to the mounting positions... Does this make sense?.
I was not sure, as I have never seen the adjustable one before. At least we know its not from an accident damaged car and should look the way it does..

A little thought and discussion throws a little light on it

[img]/upload/DSCF0052.JPG[/img]
If you cant see this here, its in my Archive under the Viento build folder

[Edited on 24/4/2005 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 24/4/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
The collapsible bit is the triangular section that slides into the bit you have there Joel.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

wilkingj

posted on 24/4/05 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I believe there are two collapsible sections. The triangular section in the lower half to absorb and movement / body shortening in the engine bay area in a crash.
And the Bit in the passenger compartment to absorb the driver hitting the column in the event of bulkhead movement or the back end of the car crushing thus moving the driver on/into the column.

Best Regards
Geoff

JoelP

posted on 24/4/05 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
sometimes the lower triangular bit has a hole in it, which engages with a spike on the downlink - hence in some cases this bit couldnt collapse.

viatron

posted on 24/4/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thats fine, mine is identical and i took it out of my donor once i had driven it home!! Have also checked another one with adjustable column in the breakers next door and it is also the same.

Mac

wicket

posted on 24/4/05 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
The spike is to locate the down link clamp and does not stop the sliding/collapsable section from moving.
Cheffy

posted on 25/4/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, mine is identical to Joel's and mine was also taken from a non accident car that was driven home by me.

Cheers,

Martin.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

wilkingj

posted on 25/4/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have reasoned it out (above thread)..

It was a bit worrying, when you have one concertina extended and one not, and you know thats the collapsible section

Thanks for all the replies.. I will sleep better now!.

Best Regards
Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.